Earthquake ... hurricane ... geez

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
First the earthquake, now the hurricane. Dang.

I'm leaving in a few minutes to drive to Bethany Beach Delaware to secure anything and everything I can at our house there.

This is sure to be an adventure.

Geez, give me a break already!

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, that sucks. I've been through 12+ hurricanes, suffered a direct hit in 2005.

Wilma made a complete right turn and hit us dead on.

View attachment 175904

View attachment 175906

My street, I needed a canoe.
View attachment 175907

View attachment 175908

3.jpg

6.jpg

Yeah it looks like it is going to hit or be right off the coast of Ocean City, MD...they already had mandatory evacuation there.

Vibrant, what kinds of structure is that in the last pic??

Yeah it looks like it is going to hit or be right off the coast of Ocean City, MD...they already had mandatory evacuation there.

Vibrant, what kinds of structure is that in the last pic??

That was a $30,000 2-Story screen enclosure. Here is the story about that.

The 2-story house with the Caddy truck in front of it, my house is the one story in the pics. As you can see my garage has windows at the top. My neighbor called from across the street (2-story) and asked me if he should run out and close the screen door that popped open (his first Hurricane). Looked out my garage window and saw his screen enclosure rising above his house. He's on the other end of the phone screaming "It's flying, it's flying". It rises even higher than a gust of smashed it against his house shattering it in pieces. That picture is the aftermath. Many parts got sucked between the houses and never were found.

Many of the houses lost the roof. We were out of electric for 11 days. It wasn't suppose to be such a strong hurricane but as you can see by the path it was in warm open water for 2 days when it made landfall at the bottom tip of Florida. The eye of the storm came over my neighborhood. I pulled the grill out and cooked for all my neighbors. There was only one problem. The second half of the storm was coming. If you don't know the second side of the storm provides zero warning. It's not gradual like the front of a storm. All of a sudden the purple sky (the eye) became red quickly and it sounded like a freight train was coming. Everyone scattered like rats to their houses. The second half of the storm was so much more powerful than the first. All the trees knocked down from the first half facing west were now all facing East. Every hour my neighbor and I would run out and unclog the street drains from debris. The reason my street looked like a river was because the drains were clogged.

I had a crappy clamshell phone at the time and used this to take pics.

Here are cement poles snapped in half.
View attachment 175815

We were out of electricity so long people were running out of fuel for their generators. We ran out after 9 days. When the sewage drains started to overflow and **** was in the streets I loaded up the car, kids and we drove to Orlando (3 hours North). There were fist fights at the gas stations all over. The lines for the gas stations were miles and miles long. I took this pic as we were getting out of Dodge. It was hot as balls outside. My generator powered a small A/C unit in my bedroom, powered the fridge, hot water heater so we were living like kings. Generators were running 24 hours a day at every household. I remember how big the stars were during those 9 days with no electricity. There were no stop lights, stop signs, etc. So many accidents. Just had to sit at home until everything was fixed.

View attachment 175817

I've done my fair share of hurricanes. The most substantial being the mother of all hurricane's, Andrew, in 92.' That was a beast, and we were in the hardest hit area, Perrine FL. Everyone was stranded for 2 weeks, they had to drop supplies on via helicopter. I actually drove down to help my dad shudder up for Wilma with all the extra gas I needed to make the roundtrip loaded in gas cans. I then drove back to my house in Ormond Beach just to get slammed by Charlie. This weekend is my wife's birthday, and we've driven too Ridgeland, sc to stay with her the in laws. Smart move to drive towards a hurricane I guess.

Kurt

wow Kurt, you have horrible huricane luck.

my apartment has flood warnings posted all over the place. i'm anticipating being shut in for a couple days. I'm actually bringing the stang to my work and parking it in the garage. don't want to take any chances with it.