easy swap? 4.6 for 306?

JerseyStyle

Founding Member
Jun 3, 2002
Union, NJ
I was just wondering how hard of a swap it would be to pull the 4.6 out of a 2001 GT and put in the 306 extreme big bore xr w/ 4 bolt main long block from DSS Racing. Aproximate pricing of install would be appreciated too. Anyone been through this already or seen it done? Thanks for the help in advance. :nice:

DSS Racing

• Sponsors (?)

Modular Powerhouse (the big name for mustangs around here) told me he personally didn't care for DSS blocks. He said they just don't hold up well enough. You may want to try a different brand like VT engines.

JerseyStyle said:
I was just wondering how hard of a swap it would be to pull the 4.6 out of a 2001 GT and put in the 306 extreme big bore xr w/ 4 bolt main long block from DSS Racing. Aproximate pricing of install would be appreciated too. Anyone been through this already or seen it done? Thanks for the help in advance. :nice:

DSS Racing

That's a pushrod motor. You would have to change your entire computer and harness as well. Or you could go carbuerated. Motor mounts would have to be changed probably. Sounds like a lot of work. Cheaper to by and old 94-95 body or even older and start from there.

yeah i realize i have to change the computer and the harness, which i know isn't going to be cheap, but is there any chopping(engine bay, suspension clearance issues, frame clearance, etc..)that would have to be done? keep in mind also i plan on doing a full griggs racing drag suspension. or any relocating of parts(battery to trunk, etc..), or any other parts/modifications i would need? dss can do a full turn key system for a few grand more(efi, oil pan, etc..), so if i did this, that would probably be the direction i was going, just getting the full package. it's just starting to seem like around the same amount of money i was already spending, between the vortech, the forged internals package(including pistons, rods, crank), the cams, the cylinder heads, throttle body, intake manifold, etc... and it sortof feels to me like i'd be struggling to hit the same numbers that this motor could do naturally aspirated, with less strain, and on a stronger engine overall(4-bolt main). i can then in 20-30 years if i decide to garage and keep the car, do a body off resto. and put my matching numbers motor in with 29,000 original miles, and give it to my son. that's why i'm leaning towards this, but wanted to see how feaseable it all was.