eating gas

Rushman04

Aug 11, 2003
hey my girl drive a 95 v6 convert.and the thing just eats gas like its a big block. it will eat the whole tank in 170 miles and she drives like a old person. I have a K&N air filter in it thinking it was a clogged filter but that didn't help much. Iam looking for any suggestions on what it could be. Someone said it might be a intake manifold gasket. Iam not to knowlegeable about the 3.8 iam a 5.0 guy my self.

• Sponsors (?)

Ugh, those are crappy mpg on your stangs. In my 04 v6 vert I get about 300 miles to the tank and thats with auto trans. Even on my 96 V6 5 speed coupe I was getting 325 miles to the tank and I had about 145k miles on it.

If she is driving like a old person, something is up.

Run the codes again?

COuld be O2 related, bugt a non-functional EGR would cause poor fuel economy

I have gotten 325 miles to a tank (all highway) on my GT..you should be able to at least get close to that too

You said you replace the egr valve but how about the sensor. The flow sensor is seperate from the valve. There should be an orange silicone like vacuum hose hooked to it. After the catback and the Cold Air intake I am getting about 375 miles per tank:flag:

I get the same mileage- about 350-370 before the needle gets uncomfortably low. About 26-27 MPG in mostly highway driving.

Pull your plugs and see if they're black. That should at least tell you if you're running rich and then you can look for a sensor problem.

i also forgot to mention that her engine light it on for no egr flow sensed. I replaced the egr valave and still comes on.

DPFE sensor/ EVR

the EVR is the regulator for the vacumm to the egr and rarely goes bad, the DPFE is the feedback sensor to the PCM and goes bad a lot.. another possible cause could be the egr ports, sometimes they plug up but you should have seen that with the valve off the car.

Most likely your problem is the DPFE as far as your check engine light goes..

You also need to watch her driving, even if she drives slow she could get poor mileage by not having a steady foot.. you don't want to be up and down on the gas pedal..

almost all fuel mileage concerns I see come into the shop that does not have the check engine light on is driver error..

I hate when I get these because it leads to a argument with the customer most of the time, atleast untill they see the difference on the IDS fuel mileage test with me driving compared to them.

A simple test you can do to see if the evr is working is to pull the vac line off the egr and rev the engine over 2500 or so, you should feel a tiny bit of vacumm, a gauge would work better for this but you can feel a very light vacumm.

170 mi per tank sounds pretty bad even if she's driving like Mario Andretti. That's like 12 MPG for a car that's rated 20/26 or whatever that year is. Could dirty injectors cause such a drop? My mileage recently dropped to about 24 MPG from 27 or so, and after a bottle of fuel system cleaner it came back up to 26.
Could it also be an exhaust leak that is confusing the O2 sensors and causing extra fuel to be added?