Eaton Differential Case Made overseas!

Now say you're racing someone with an Eaton differential and your Auburn blows apart off the line. My first priority when laying down $$$ is getting the best quality.The Eaton's a better differential. If Japan makes it better, well that's competition.

• Sponsors (?)

mogs01gt said:
Japan doesnt buy a 1/3 of the amount of products we buy from them. Why should we support their country?

That is awesome you are trying to buy American. You just made my decision on differentials.

**** japan.

my dollars are my "vote" for the best product. if the best one is made overseas, so be it. that should be a wake up call to the domestic manufacturers.

dew22 said:
Get the unions out of our free market society and we will do just fine.

:stupid:

we Americans are a funny group of people. we all want high paying jobs but want low priced goods. well if an American company is paying their employees $20/hr and a Japanese company $10/hr. who is going to make the less expensive product? and American consumers tend to buy the less expensive product. unions have served their purpose in the auto industry, they are now nothing more than a leech on a very ill American auto industry.

dew22 said:
Get the unions out of our free market society and we will do just fine.

:bs: Unions have nothing to do with it. Quality STARTS with Engineering!

Glad to see there are still SOME people who support our suppliers over here :flag: BUY AMERICAN!

Keep on supporting those over seas vendors and maybe your kids will be able to get a job with them! :rolleyes:

GT JAY said:
:bs: Unions have nothing to do with it. Quality STARTS with Engineering!

unions have ALOT to do with it. it's all about money. they can get someone in Japan to produce the part for less money. Japan doesn't have unions like we do. they pay their employees less.

quality does start with engineering, but it takes the proper people at each and every step of production to make a quality product. in this case, the Eaton case was most likely designed in the U.S., but sent over seas for casting.

let's take Fords union for example. did you know that if you get busted for showing up to work drunk, you won't get fired? if you get caught shooting up drugs at work, you won't get fired. if you make false sexual harrasment claims, guess what, you won't get fired. why you may ask? because the union has too much power and won't let Ford fire people it needs to fire. that has a huge effect on quality. auto industry unions served their purpose in the 20's til the 80's but no more. before you cal bs, my dad was a foreman at an Ford engine plant. i've heard several horror stories about how the union protects some lame ass people.

I was refering to Quality. Trust me I know what you're saying. I've worked for Ford for over 6 years now. I know that sometimes the Union does protect the WRONG PEOPLE, but to say piss on it I'll buy foreign made products insted is just plain STUPID! 95% of the problems at Ford for instance isn't the Union workers fault it's Engineering and Management. Quality Control is a Salry Job, not a Union job!

I'll give you an example that just took place at my plant within the last 2 weeks. Some lines that supple the gear lube were being changed over in one of our axle assembly departments. Somehow the lines got crossed and the wrong limited slip additive was being mixed in with the gear lube. The line workers noticed a different smell and told their supervisor about it and they were told that the strange smell was because of the new lines. Turns out, it wasn't the lines. The wrong mix was being put into the axles. Another thing, the Chem Lab engineers( Non-union ) NEVER checked things out before they started to run the assembly line after the changes! Finally after over 2 1/2 weeks, Boom! Brand new F-150's that were assembled and delivered to customers are burning up their rear axles because they are running the WRONG mix of gear lube! OVER 9,000 axles were built. A cost of over $2,000,000.00 is what the estimate is to recall and repair/replace those bad axles! So to sit there and bad mouth the UNION Totally, is just NOT RIGHT! The floor employee's noticed there was a problem, but nothing was done by management to fix it until it was to late!

I get a lot of razzing from my bud's about working at Ford and the Union, but do you know how many times I've been asked "Hey man, any chance you could get me in". or "try to get me an application" :rolleyes: Anyone who says that they wouldn't take a Job at the Big 3 or a high paying union job is an Ignorant LIAR Pure and Simple!

Unions are a classic example of something that sounds great in theory but in reality do FAR more harm than good.

If you want jobs to stay in the U.S. don't demand FAR more pay than the job is worth.

When it becomes more attractive to have something made and shipped 1/2 way around the world wich is very expensive than produce it ourselves something is wrong.

Mangement sets a cost per car that they want to maintain.

Union labor costs more, so that leaves less for parts.

In the cost cutting mentality of the Big 3 recently that means that parts keep getting cheaper.

I have 2 asian imports in my garage and one American made Ford (the Stang).

Six months ago I had three American made vehicles. Now it is down to one.

The quality of the Ford fit / finish / paint etc... is not even close to my imports. Anybody who goes and shops the asian imports against the Big 3, would quickly realize the quality difference.

I really want to buy American cars, but they have got to spend more money to do it right.

I just bought an SUV for my wife and one of the SUV's I checked out was the Lincoln Aviator. I was appaled to find my Stang radio under the slick stainless radio cover. Very Tacky and not acceptable at that price.

GT JAY said:
:rolleyes: Whatever. Stop whining!

Boy that's some sharp wit you got there GT

Now on with the discussion

Don't get me wrong if I were looking (and I am not) for a job in any of the sectors that has union involvement as opposed to nonunion I would choose the union job.
But I wouldn't kid myself that the terms of my employment that were negotiated by the union was good for the country.

GT explain to me how getting paid more for a job (than it's worth) than other people in your community would take for doing the same job just as well is a good thing?

sveet said:
Mangement sets a cost per car that they want to maintain.

Union labor costs more, so that leaves less for parts.

In the cost cutting mentality of the Big 3 recently that means that parts keep getting cheaper.

I have 2 asian imports in my garage and one American made Ford (the Stang).

Six months ago I had three American made vehicles. Now it is down to one.

The quality of the Ford fit / finish / paint etc... is not even close to my imports. Anybody who goes and shops the asian imports against the Big 3, would quickly realize the quality difference.

I really want to buy American cars, but they have got to spend more money to do it right.

I just bought an SUV for my wife and one of the SUV's I checked out was the Lincoln Aviator. I was appaled to find my Stang radio under the slick stainless radio cover. Very Tacky and not acceptable at that price.

I agree. I also own more imports than domestics. Last time I checked Japan has superior quality controll as well as engineering over our stangs. The reason Japan doesn't buy as much as we do to them is because they have a smaller population. They make electronics and cars. We don't make electonics and our cars aren't effeicient for gas as theirs are.

All I've heard so far is people b itching about Quality. Like I said before Q.C. , is not 100% the Union's responsibility. Yes it is the workers responsibility to notify someone if they suspect a Quality issue, but management makes the call weather or not assemble or build the parts or not. You people are complaining about management issues here.

money decides quality in most cases. It costs money to pull cars on a suspicion and it costs even more to reengineer something.

At the moment my family owns one of each of the big three Japanese makers. I've got a Nissan PU, my dad has a Toyota 4Runner and my mom has a Honda CRV. If Toyota made a RWD sports/pony car from the iForce V8, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Maybe Ford could outsource the Mustang line to Honda or Toyota.... that would be a damn fine automobile.

The looks/hp of a mustang with the reliability/engineering of an import.

Unions are a drain on the American automotive industry. Yes, quality starts with engineering. The problem is, our hands are tied by the bean counters who truly make the decisions because they have to make up for the ridiculous wages and pensions and health care costs that Ford and GM have compared to Japanese and European automakers. You spend more on labor, you get less to spend on parts. Cheaper parts almost ALWAYS equal lower quality.

The engineering groups we work with spend a LOT of unnecessary money just to AVOID having to work with union shops during the vehicle development stage. The quality of work and non-flexible labor rules are a major PITA when you are trying to get good work done in a short amount of time. Note, I'm not talking about assembly plant labor here, I don't have much experience with those guys.

It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next 10-15 years as the American auotmakers become less and less competitive.

Just Trying to bring this to everyone's attention

I brought this to everyones attention to show that this is hitting closer to home than you guys think. Major corporations are moving overseas leaving more and more Americans with no jobs. Because these greedy companies want to save money and get richer there turning their backs on their own and moving overseas to pay a smaller amount of money to have these differential casings built. And another thing.....I'm not waiting a month to get an Eaton Differential with a small warranty, I'm going to opt for the 5 year warranty auburn offers so if I blow it up I get another one for cheap. I dont kno about you guys but I'm a full-time college student and the car has been gone for 2 months already, I'm going with whats accessible and American, not something that was made in China or wherever for 20 cents an hour!