EBay sellers sometime suck..anyone near Albuquerque, NM

mfp4073

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2001
Hells Ditch, FL
Bought an airplane propeller spinner off a guy in Belen, NM. $13 + 7 shipping. Seller contacts me to pay....I missed that paypal is the only payment option he has. I dont have or want paypal...visit www.paypalsucks.com for just a few of the reasons. I offer to send a check, moneyorder or cash. Says no and paypal only. I offer again. He says no. I offer to send an additional $5 to cover his "additional expenses". Heck I offered to send him $5 and let him relist it. His response back is that he will accept $30 and if this is not ok by him he will "let ebay sort it out" I guess its a $9.75 fee to cash moneyorders where he lives. I tell him I am not paying that much (and then mailed ebay about the situation). He mailed me back about making $50/hr as an aircraft mechanic and that this has cost him an hour of his time so far. What crap... I would still love to pay him and have said it over and over. No longer willing for the mailing cash option. I am totally not mad...mostly annoyed. I dont care if I get the item or not...its not that important to me. I would love to give him the option of having someone pick it up locally. Pay him is $13 in cash and be done with it.

Why are people so difficutl :uzi:

the item in question.....

View attachment 519163

• Sponsors (?)

You did the right thing by contacting ebay. His cost for the auction is likely less than $2.00 for a $13 item. Unless the guy's a moron and popped for all the frills ebay offers. All you owe him is the cost of the auction and the final value fee. What's wrong with Paypal? I've used it for a couple years now and never had problems. Sure, I'd rather a money order or check for my stuff, but there's many that think that's a hassle. I had to start charging a handling fee to cover what Paypal charges me for my customers to pay me thru them, if I hadn't some of the little stuff would cost me more to list and sell than it's worth.

I know it sounds like he is being a jerk, but you bid on an item that stated "PayPal only", and you are refusing to use PayPal.

It doesn't cost anything to sign up for PayPal.

He is probably on some propeller board right now calling you a jerk...LOL!

D.Hearne said:
I had to start charging a handling fee to cover what Paypal charges me for my customers to pay me thru them, if I hadn't some of the little stuff would cost me more to list and sell than it's worth.

I thought you couldn't do that? :shrug:
I did at one time, but got a note from Ebay telling me I couldn't...
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-surcharges.html

FWIW, I've never had any paypal problems either.

I have never had a problem with Paypal but if you visit the ebay paypal message board you don't have to look hard to find people who have had problems.If you still want the piece, maybe you can get a 3rd party to Paypal the seller the money and you can send them the money order.

Being in Canada, I've used Paypal, and never had a problem. Also they credit & debit your Visa so you have an added level of protection.

For Money orders, the best route is the postoffice. There as cheep as 7-11, and any country's post office will accept any
other countriy's Postal Money order.

charlies said:
lol! good one.

that thing would make a great hat!

Hey, don't laugh. I was looking for a fleet and farm store on the web and I accidentily got into a BB for shoes. The thread I landed in was some chick who was going to Europe and didn't know what shoes to bring. She had like 30 responses giving her shoe advice.

That's when it is time to unplug the machine!

I dont know...this is the real world and things dont always go exactly as planned. I have bid on SOO many things and sometimes you just miss stuff or confuse auctions. Kinda like the havapenny jars at the store. I am all the time cutting people brakes, I usually overpay to round the check/mo up to the next dollar. Heck 2 weeks ago I won a promo item from a band for $.25...felt bad for them having to package and run down to the post office for $.25 so I gave em $5 for it. Probably worth close to $20 so was just fine with that. Paypal has way too many loopholes that you can get screwed in. Both as a buyer or a seller. For example...if you buy something from someone that turns out is selling stolen items your account will be flagged and may or may not be siezed. It does not matter that you knew about it or if what you bought was legit or not. Because you did business with them you may loose your shirt.

I mean geeze, does this guy think he has NEVER done anything to deserve a break or needed someone else to be a little flexible?

I got an automated response from ebay basically saying nothing useful. I mailed back trying to get a real person to look at the case. Have heard nothing more from him or ebay.

With moneyorders there are several kinds. The international ones that the post office here have are like $4...the regular ones are only $1.

BobV said:
I thought you couldn't do that? :shrug:
I did at one time, but got a note from Ebay telling me I couldn't...
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-surcharges.html

FWIW, I've never had any paypal problems either.
You can charge your customers "handling fees" you just can't single out the ones who insist on paying thru Paypal. So I charge all my customers a small handling fee to cover my Paypal expenses, usually I limit it to around $3-4. Only once have I upped it to $40, and that was a week or so ago when I sold a 427 block for $800. The Paypal fee on that was nearly $30. I too also used to charge directly for paypal fees and I also got a email from Ebay for doing so. :D SO NOW EVERYBODY PAYS!!!!! :D

Max Power said:
Hey, don't laugh. I was looking for a fleet and farm store on the web and I accidentily got into a BB for shoes. The thread I landed in was some chick who was going to Europe and didn't know what shoes to bring. She had like 30 responses giving her shoe advice.

That's when it is time to unplug the machine!

LMAO... :rlaugh: Man, you can find anything on the internet. And those people need to learn to manage the time in their lives.