ebrake question

my question:
i did a disc swap on my 88, i was told it was from a 99 tbird with discs. my original cables dont fit it, would a 89 gt drum brake set up be the same?
i have someone trying to sell me an entire ebrake assembly from the front but it was out of his 89gt with drums.
anyone know if i can buy these?

• Sponsors (?)

The original ebrake handle doesn't work with any rear disk brakes I have seen. The self adjusting mechanism causes problems with the cables being too tight. This causes the Ebrake not to release completely when you use it and then release the handle.

See http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/brake.html for help with the emergency brake. The ebrake handle on 87 and later models must be modified by removing the spring, and tack welding the pawl and ratchet assembly

Also see Matt90GT's site, http://www.svo73mm.cjb.net/ . Matt's the brake wizard around here.

so if i buy this kit from this guy, i get both cables, the front cable and the complete handle and assembly.
i just want to confirm that the cables will fit right into the rear calipers even though they came off a car with drums? cause my car had drums be4 and they dont fit
anyone?

they will not be any different then the ones you have now. you have to modify the originals as jrichker mentioned. i belive sn95 rear disc cables will work also?

i have rear disc, and my cables are just ziptied to the sway bar because they are too short also. im just removing them all together

First off the 99 Tbird -- was it still being made in the MN12? . If it was the MN12 is a rear IRS with a 5x4.25" bolt pattern.

I seriously doubt you are using the MN12 parts. The mustang bolt pattern for 5 lug is 5x4.5".

So really you dont know what you have. For the Ebrake question, that is very simple. YOu modify the handle per the FMS instructions to delete the self adjustment feature and then for the 79-92 cars you need the 3 FMS Ebrake cables:

(2) FMS M2809A
(1) FMS M2810A

If you have more questions on the Ebrakes, refer to the FMS racing website under the M2300K kit and download the PDF directions.

FOr the rest of the mess, good luck!