ecsta supra 712 compared to nt555

• Sponsors (?)

Had the Kumho's and I agree that they were just what you pay for, cheap and they rode like crap. I started to get Nittos but got BFG Gforce tires instead. Glad I did too, the BFGs stick like glue, are fairly quiet and seem to ride and handle a whole lot better not to mention that they look bad-ass. Overall, I'm pleased and would buy the BFGs again. Still would like to try those Nittos though.

Big Steve said:
Not quite right on this one. True about tread depth, the less the better. Most competition tires have very little tread depth compared to a stock tire. Less tread depth=less tread squirm under hard cornering. Take a stock tire though and wear it down to the same tread depth will not give you the same results. As a stock tire heat cycles it makes the rubber harder as you wear the tire down. Since the rubber is harder it does not give the same traction as a shaved tire at the same tread depth. Thats why its so easy to spin old tires, the rubber is way harder than when new.
I understand you point, it was well made. But I still disagree when the tires are used for taking corners.

You guys are all smoking crack or sniffing burnt rubber. The Kuhmos are the best dam tire for the money and better than most that are more espensive. Mine wear perfectly, are not noisy at all, have plenty of tread left after about 15k miles, and I pull 2.0's at the track every dam time (n/a) with my 4.10's. Now, 2.0 is nothing to write home about, but not too shabby either. Heck, I know there are guys around here not pulling 2.0's with DR's.

The tires are very reliable in the rain, and never squeal going into corners. I have no problems with the 712's.

You guys complaining about vibrations, need to get them balanced. I have mine done about every 7500 miles and I have never rotated them (off-set).

They are a bit tough in the cold, but so is any performance tire.

I may upgrade in the back to the MX just for giggles the next time around.

Go HoTO! said:
You guys are all smoking crack or sniffing burnt rubber. The Kuhmos are the best dam tire for the money and better than most that are more espensive. Mine wear perfectly, are not noisy at all, have plenty of tread left after about 15k miles, and I pull 2.0's at the track every dam time (n/a) with my 4.10's. Now, 2.0 is nothing to write home about, but not too shabby either. Heck, I know there are guys around here not pulling 2.0's with DR's.

The tires are very reliable in the rain, and never squeal going into corners. I have no problems with the 712's.

You guys complaining about vibrations, need to get them balanced. I have mine done about every 7500 miles and I have never rotated them (off-set).

They are a bit tough in the cold, but so is any performance tire.

I may upgrade in the back to the MX just for giggles the next time around.
I've had mine for 1.5 years, still plenty of tread. I have horrible problems hooking at the track but that's because I never did burnouts to warm them up. They absolutely suck when they're cold. I may go race this Sunday, I'll do burnouts first.

I also have no vibrations, can't tell if they're noisy (exhaust).

Another vote for the Nitto's here.

I have used both tires and though for the price, the 712's are a pretty good buy for the price but the nitto's are well worth the upgrade in price. They perform better(I have autocrossed in both), wear more evenly and longer, and better in the rain. It all boils down to what your car is used for.

ShakeandBake said:
Kumho's = trash.

I have them now and can't wait to trash them...car shakes a mother f going down the road...thought I had a bent rim. :nonono:
Thats not normal. I have 265/35/18 and 275/35/18 and its smooth as can be (for a car running coilovers and double bearing LCA's). You might want to get them balanced again or get a new tire.

But, I think i'm gonna try a bridgestone next time.

I just have to add this:
I had had 712s on a previous vehicle, and they sucked big time! But I decided to try Kuhmo Ecsta MX tires this time, they rock. 15000 miles, that has been standard and the MXs reproduced that with better wet dry traction than stock gatorbacks or yokohamas. I am really impressed with the MXs so dont let a 712 experience keep you from trying MXs!

I have the 712's on my vert. and they're ok. Nothing to really brag about. Pretty good tires for the money. If you have the money for the kumho's you'll have enough money for the 555's. A tire place where I live has the 555's for only $20 more per tire. When my kumhos are used up nittos will go on mine. Just a little more money for alot better tire. Why not.

I was planning to order them from discount tire direct,285/35/18 nittos for $210
and 265/35/18 712's for $167 should i check out some local tires shops to see if they have it? or is best bet over the net?

02'MineralGT said:
I was planning to order them from discount tire direct,285/35/18 nittos for $210
and 265/35/18 712's for $167 should i check out some local tires shops to see if they have it? or is best bet over the net?
I would call the locals first and save the cost of $hipping if it's feasable. You never know when they'll have them on sale. I got my BFG gForce tires on sale at over $40 off per tire (Reg $169 ea, Paid $129 ea). Also, taking these tires to a tire shop when you receive them would probably be a royal pain, not to mention that you don't know if that tire shop is going to have an 'attitude' mounting tires you bought elsewhere (like making you wait forever, not balancing correctly, etc.).