ECT & Coolant Temp. sending unit confusion with autometer gauge install

illwood

Apr 3, 2004
Worcester, MA
Ok, I searched a few threads, but there was some conflicting info, so I'm going to ask.

First off, this is the ECT, correct?
dy681.jpg

Since it tells the ECU the engine time, I need to have it plugged in, right?

This is the Temp Sending Unit?
sw2328.jpg

This one is only for the factory temp gauge, correct?

I've got an Autometer mechanical water temp. gauge that I want to install (I was originally going to put it in place of the ECT it now seems).

Where are people putting the temp probe with the autometer gauges? Do I need any brass NPT adaptors? Should I just wait until I put my Eddy intake in and use some other port?

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah your right. I just got rid of my stock temp sender and put my autometer one in there. Now the in car gauge is dead which i dont really car about, but some day i might see if there is a different place i can plug it into just so it looks alive. But it wont hurt anything to get rid of the gauge sender.

WhiteDevil said:
Yeah your right. I just got rid of my stock temp sender and put my autometer one in there. Now the in car gauge is dead which i dont really car about, but some day i might see if there is a different place i can plug it into just so it looks alive. But it wont hurt anything to get rid of the gauge sender.
Ok, but the mechanical gauge's probe is pretty big, too big for that hole I believe. Any suggestions?

YOu got a mechanical water temp guage?? So you have to run coolant lines up to the gauge or what? I was assuming you were talking about an electric gauge which is what i have.

RC i was talkin about getting rid of the temp sending unit(for the in car gauge) not deleting the ECT.

WhiteDevil said:
YOu got a mechanical water temp guage?? So you have to run coolant lines up to the gauge or what? I was assuming you were talking about an electric gauge which is what i have.

RC i was talkin about getting rid of the temp sending unit(for the in car gauge) not deleting the ECT.
I knew what you were talking about even if RC didn't, or he was just re-enforcing the point.

No, you don't run a coolant line to the gauge. Attached to the gauge is about 6' of sheilded copper tube with a probe at the end, the tube is filled with ether and it is the medium for transmitting the temp to the gauge.

It should be a nice setup when I get it done, 'cause I'm using the '94+ gauge bezel holder. :D

And I would use the stock sender location to insert your probe (Hehe). Relo' the stock gauge sender to the stat housing. If your stat freezes closed, that location is going to suck for letting you know about it - nice to have that be for the crappy gauge.

Plus the stock location is closer (My capillary tube barely made it to the stock location).

Good luck.