ECT Relocate...Have Some ??'s

I am thinking of removing the heater hard line due to leaks, which would force me to relocate the ECT sensor directly into the manifold where the hard line use to go. I already have the adapter to thread it in, so that's not the issue. The issue is, will having the ECT sensor directly in the lower manifold cause any different readings than the stock location? My thinking was that it will now tell the ECU a higher temp due to the heat transfer of the manifold directly on the sensor. Does this make sense to anyone? Will it indeed have any ill-effects?

Any help is appreciated. TIA

• Sponsors (?)

Since the water circulates through the tubing that the ECT mounts in, the tubing only gets as hot as the water. The intake manifold is the same way. Your ECT should be fine mounted in the intake manifold.

I think you should get very similar readings.
I doubt there would be enough of a difference to notice.

If you are worried about it drive the car a little with a voltmeter hooked up to the ECT, and see what typical readings are.
The do the swap, and see what kind of readings you get in the new location.

If there is a major difference, then you may want to switch back, but I doubt that will be the case.

You are talking about keeping the sensor in the front passenger corner of the lower intake, correct?

EDIT:
I am not sure that the threads of the ECT will mate up to the heater threads in the intake. I think the intake threads are larger?

jason

vristang said:
You are talking about keeping the sensor in the front passenger corner of the lower intake, correct?

EDIT:
I am not sure that the threads of the ECT will mate up to the heater threads in the intake. I think the intake threads are larger?

jason

Yes it will stay in the pass side front manifold spot. I already have the 1/2" to 3/8" adapter to make it fit.

Now I have to figure out a way to keep coolant flowing through the egr spacer. I was thinking of either tapping the t-stat housing and add a barbed fitting there, or adding a barbed fitting to the rear driver side of the manifold.

Which do you think would have more coolant flow through the egr spacer?

I would think that putting the egr outlet on the rad side of the stat may change the performance of the egr cooling system.
For example, the egr lines wouldn't see as much flow until the stat had opened.
I may be wrong on that though.

I would try to stay as close to Factory as possible.

Maybe you can tap a hole next to the new location of the ECT?

jason

vristang said:
I would think that putting the egr outlet on the rad side of the stat may change the performance of the egr cooling system.
For example, the egr lines wouldn't see as much flow until the stat had opened.
I may be wrong on that though.

I would try to stay as close to Factory as possible.

Maybe you can tap a hole next to the new location of the ECT?

jason

I think you are correct in thinking about the coolant flow not being present until the t-stat opened, so thats a no go. And I don't want to tap a new hole in the lower seeing that its a brand new TFS unit.

Anyone have suggestions on where/how I can still hook up the egr coolant line?

*Would hooking it up from rear driver side manifold, to front of egr spacer, out rear of egr spacer to the rear pass side manifold coolant port present any coolant flow through the spacer?*