Edelbrock "E" Streets, good for 400hp????

Sonicaceman

Sep 28, 2004
i know these heads came out not too long ago and i've done a little research on them, but not a ton. Anyone running these heads, anyone have any personal flow data, or hp numbers with these heads? Edelbrocks numbers are decent, and i guess you can't expect much for under a 1G for heads, but they have me curious. i currently have a set of Roush cast iron 200cc heads and they have been durable and do work good but i would think these would be better than what i have w/o spending a ton of money. i have a NA 347 and i was wondering if anyone thinks these heads can make 400hp, (motor) which would be about 320 to the wheels with an off the shelf comp cam and a gt-40 intake? i of course have the full exhaust fuel system, wires, computer chip, cai and all the supporting cast parts. i'm not looking for anything crazy here. i just want to pick a little bit up in the horsepower category because my setup is not too good now and if anyone had input on these heads if it would be worth it to go with them to reach my goal let me know thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I bought these heads a while ago and they looked ok. I did have to smooth out the ports and clean up a little flashing which didnt take that long. Biggest problem is the spings that come with. The ads say power from idle to 5500rpm and .550 max lift. What they dont mention is the spring are ***** and that you MUST not rev past 5500 rpm with these springs and that the recommended cam size is .500 lift. I picked up some comp cams dirt track springs 1.25" (should be used in pens not heads but anyways) pn 941-16 and comp said they will work great. Otherwise i think I made the right choice over Procomps but i may pick up a set just to see the difference.;)

I am not advocating procomps over any other brand, but I did see a set at a car show recently. they were at a table next to a pair of AFR's. The procomps made the AFR's look like garbage. The casting, flashing, and all the ports on the procomps were much smoother and cleaner than the AFR's. I am not sure if they are trying to step up the quality or if the vendor cleaned up a set for display, and like I said this is just one set of heads that I have seen.

heads

ok, some good info. but no one has any dyno numbers with these heads, or what combo's of intake and cam went with them? i want to upgrade from my roush 200 cast irons and get about 300hp to the wheels which would be about 380-400hp at the motor. right now i'm at about 330 hp at the motor and 270 at the wheels. i want something along with a new cam and my gt-40 intake that is going to gain me about 50 hp at the motor and get me to 300hp at the wheels. that is my goal. i don't want to put almost a G into the current heads i have, that would be stupid when i can sell them for about $400 or so and use that toward a better set. i have a 347 stroker, with keith black flat top pistons, and i want a comp cams 512 lift cam that is 1800-5800rpm range and a decent set of heads to go with my gt-40 tubular intake to net me 300rwhp. like i said earlier in the thread, i have all i need except a good hci combo. keeping the intake, just looking for the cam and heads to go with it that will help me hit my goal w/o breaking the bank. does anyone think the e-streets would help me hit my goal? i welcome anyone's input, thanks.

If it were me I would be looking at a set of used afr 185s for a 347 (or even a 331). combined with a nice cam and a ported gt40 intake would net you the 300hp to the wheels pretty easily I would think. although the intake would be the limiting factor. I also looked at the e streets and love what you get for the price when you look at the flow numbers.the added benefit of aluminum heads weight reduction at the nose of a pony I think is great bang for buck satisfaction. But I have yet to hear anyone run them on a dyno on here with any set of combos.

heads

i'm not running high rrr's or do i plan on running over 5500 rpm's ever so i would say the intake shouldn't have any limiting factors here. i'm getting a milder cam with lower lift and i'm looking to build a torquey responsive street car that is fun and reliable. the gt-40 is one of the best intakes out there, not the best but you should read the article muscle mustangs and fast fords did on the intakes a while back with the gt-40 included with their 347 test motor. i guess what i'm saying is it depends on what you are looking for but the gt-40 will produce the most torque at the right rpms for my street car. good input though, thanks.