Edelbrock heads

86T-Top

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2001
Dublin, PA
I am going to buy a set of used performer heads in a few hours and had a few questions. :banana: Do the regular head bolts fit in this head, or do I need the step washer? Also I went to Edelbrocks website to download any tips and instructions about the head but I couldn't find any. Anyone have a link? They are part # 60289

Thanks,

Mario

• Sponsors (?)

One thing I know to check would be whether it's got soft or hard shims under the springs. I bought an early set used and had to change them out to hardened shims - I got them at Summit, same diameter & thickness as what was under the springs.

Some people have put hardened spring cups under there, but then you have to have the spring pockets in the heads milled out larger.

You do want to check that - if the soft ones are run for very long, the springs will chew them up and eventually chew into the aluminum itself - spreading lots of metal debris throughout your oiling system and ruining the heads.

Also, on mine, there were some sharp casting corners protroding into the corners of the exhaust ports. I rounded them out and cut them down quite a bit, figuring they created turbulence and both blocked and hurt flow quality.

Def. check the spring set up with the cups and all tat stuff. Also, whats the valve size of the heads? If they are 2.02" on the intake, you might be cutting it close with your stock shortblock. check into that, you will want the 1.90 valve size. Also, get the springs checked out to make sure they are not stretched or wore out

Hey, I too have an Edelbrock head question...They're the 60379, CARB legal, replacements....Anyone else use these? They are supposed to be bolt on and go, with 190 valves, but then it says i might need longer pushrods....Might?! MIGHT?! do i or don't ?!
Silly heads...Anyone done this on a fox?

Picked up the heads for a smoking deal of $500. I need to use step washers that is for sure. As for pushrod length the only way to know is put an adjustable pushrod in and see what you get.

When I remove the spring, how will I know if I have hard or osft shims? \

Thanks,

Mario