edelbrock performer vs RPM

• Sponsors (?)

Cobain03 said:
im in the processs of a rebuild, do you think it would be worth the 150 bucks (summit) to go ahead and get the RPM intake? will i notice a difference?

also, you think if i should go with the RPM, that i should get the RPM cam, so maybe later on if i can afford the rpm heads i'd have the whole setup? i found heads for 539 piece.

What is your driving style and will you be installing a performance camshaft?

The Performer is little more than a lightened stock manifold. It has good manners for everyday stop and go driving. The RPM is performance oriented and will complement any modifications that you make to acquire higher RPM. The RPM will also work fine for stop and go too, but bottom end torque will suffer a little.

Unless you plan on doing some iterations with desk top dyno or the like, it's wise to do a package set up, or follow recomendations of the head manufacturer or the like.

Performer RPM with Performer RPM camshaft, and good cylinder heads will be a nice package for street / strip.

With a factory cam and heads switching to an RPM from a Perf will make a negligible difference performance wise. Most noticeable will be a little more sluggishness off idle and a little more willingness at high RPM, plus a little worse mileage. But very small differences overall.

Match the intake with the right heads and cam and the difference will be night and day. My recommendation is to wait until you can do all of them together.

Edbert said:
With a factory cam and heads switching to an RPM from a Perf will make a negligible difference performance wise. Most noticeable will be a little more sluggishness off idle and a little more willingness at high RPM, plus a little worse mileage. But very small differences overall.

Match the intake with the right heads and cam and the difference will be night and day. My recommendation is to wait until you can do all of them together.
Wrong info. He will not notice any sluggishness off idle with an RPM intake. He WILL get SOME extra performance up top. How much? That depends.:D

D.Hearne said:
Wrong info. He will not notice any sluggishness off idle with an RPM intake. He WILL get SOME extra performance up top. How much? That depends.:D
Compared to the non RPM performer he will, particularly so with a stock cam which is around 190 duration (at 50) and .400 lift (IIRC). The perf-RPM is designed for a 1500-6000 operating range while the base unit is for idle (600-700) to 5000. Until the motor gets to 1500 the mixture velocity will be too low for crisp throttle response.

Edbert said:
Compared to the non RPM performer he will, particularly so with a stock cam which is around 190 duration (at 50) and .400 lift (IIRC). The perf-RPM is designed for a 1500-6000 operating range while the base unit is for idle (600-700) to 5000. Until the motor gets to 1500 the mixture velocity will be too low for crisp throttle response.
Have you ever actually tried one with a stock cam ? I had one on a stock, 88 Crown Vic roller 5.0, and there was NO lack of response in the off-idle performance. Even with it's crappy cam ( probably the smallest roller you can get for one, with sub .400 lift and less than 260 degree advertised duration) it STILL performed flawlessly. High rise, dual plane, large runner carb intakes just do not lack in bottom end performance like single planes do. I've used too many on basically stock motors to know for sure. Just because it was "designed" to give better performance in the mid to upper rpms, doesn't mean it absolutely doesn't work on off idle situations. About the only situation where one wouldn't, would be where the owner planted a larger than needed mechanical secondary carb on top, and/or combined that with an automatic trans and/or rear gears that were meant for highway crusing. (i.e: putting a 650+cfm Holley double pumper on a stock 302/5.0, and a stock stall C-4 or AOD and a 2.50 to 3.00 geared rear) The carb then would be the culprit in the off idle performance, the trans. and rear gear ratio would just exasperate it.

I'm just saying it will have poorer response off-idle COMPARED TO THE PERFORMER. I also said the difference would be slight. Are you saying there's no difference or that the perf-rpm will have better off-idle response then the performer?

I'm not knocking the perf-rpm, I have one on my 351W.

FWIW, I ran the RPM on my 84 for a week, and sold it cheap... the performer ran WAY better. I DID port match the performer to the AFR heads. I lost .2 and 2mph with the RPM.. I MAY try the stealth though next..

Are you running an automatic or a stick? If you go with the RPM package, and keep the stock trans and gears, it's going to be a dog off the line.

I ran forever with 79 302 heads, performer intake, 2.89 gears and a 280H comp cam. Thats a big ol cam for that setup but it was far from unstreetable. Cobain at least has stock 289 heads so he'll have a lot more compression than I did. If your going to get new heads down the road I personally would get the rpm intake, cam, and heads when you can get them. My setup now is from 1500-6500 and its not a dog from idle. There isn't a factory mustang out there other than cobras than can take me that I've seen.

On the other hand if you just want a cruiser and performance isn't a major priority stick with the performer stuff.

Personally, I'd keep the performer for now..put the cam in that you want, but with the smaller ports, you'll keep the intake velocity up. Get the intake when you get the heads, you're going to have to pull it anyway. Save the $$ for other things you'll need to get it finished..
When you change heads, you'll probably want to change headers too.. dont most tri-y's have a 1 1/2 in primary tube?

I have a 600 holley on top of a off brand Air-gap intake using the rv cam and long tube headers in my 68 cougar with auto and 2.79 rear.
It has preformed quite well in this set up on a 66 block with 67 smog heads.
Seems to have a peppy off idle responce and good top end for a daily type driver.
the plus is No carb spacer and now it doesn't get that gas boil when it is shut off after a long hard run.

PB

Dark Knight said:
Personally, I'd keep the performer for now..put the cam in that you want, but with the smaller ports, you'll keep the intake velocity up. Get the intake when you get the heads, you're going to have to pull it anyway.

this would be a good compromise. That way you have room to grow.

Air Gap

pabear89 said:
I have a 600 holley on top of a off brand Air-gap intake using the rv cam and long tube headers in my 68 cougar with auto and 2.79 rear.
It has preformed quite well in this set up on a 66 block with 67 smog heads.
Seems to have a peppy off idle responce and good top end for a daily type driver.
the plus is No carb spacer and now it doesn't get that gas boil when it is shut off after a long hard run.

PB
I agree.
The RPM Air Gap is the way to go if you've got the room when you do step up to a better intake.

I didn't read the entire post but you might want to check out Kragen Auto. My local shop here tends to be cheaper than Summit. Plus you can pay online then pickup in the store--prices tend to be lower online. I picked up the MSD ignition and the guys shaved a few percent off.