EEC-IV Experts

JC 25TH

Oct 15, 2003
Georgia
I have been having a gas milage problem (it sucks 9mpg) and decided to pull out the Superchip that the previous owner told me was in the computer. He mentioned something about another chip being in the computer, but this being my first ford or computuer controlled vehicle for that matter, I had no idea what he was talking about. :shrug: Well, I pulled out the computer and it becomes very apparent what he was talking about. There is a chip in the diagnostic port of the computer where the aftermarket chip would normally go in, but it is a factory chip from ford. It still has the sticker on it and everything. The Superchip that he added to the car was actually plugged in between the harness and the computer itself, like some sort of interrupter. Has anyone seen one of these before? It is definitley from ADS Superchip, couldn't tell you how old it is though. Also, does anything know about the ford chip that is in there? Anyone had any experiences like this?

On a side note....what is up with the 50resto website? I have been trying to get on there to order stuff for the past week, but can't!

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,

Your 1990 probably has an A9L PCM, it should be labeled on the connector that connects to the bottom of the PCM. Factory stock should have had just factory tape over the aux. connector. It sounds like someone installed the aftermarket chip with an adapter of some kind. You should be able to remove the chip and adapter, then the internal factory default PCM will take over. Also, anytime you add or remove the chip disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and hit the brake for a few seconds to discharge the keep alive memory (KAM) inside the PCM.

For bad gas mileage the first thing to check are the HEGOs, if you have over 50K on them they probably need replaced. If you replace these also reset the KAM.

Good Luck, Don

I believe my car does indeed have the A9L PCM, but like I said, there is some sort of metal cover with a chip built inside of it, and this is plugged into the top of the computer. There isn't tape over it. This cover has factory ford stickers on it and other little details of the car (i.e. 1990, 302 HO, 5 speed). The previous owner said that he took the car to a dealership and the techs there had never seen anything like it before. I thought maybe someone here had run across something similar.

As for my fuel problems, I replaced the O2s when I did the tune up on it about a week ago. This didn't seem to cure my problems at all. Hopefully, I can figure it out soon.