EFI benefits with Carb appearance?

that depends on the engine really, they also made a 600 cfm version for the hi-po 289's and the the rest of the big ford line, like t-birds and galaxies and such with the 390, 428, 410 etc. or you could go with one of pony carbs "spreadbore" 4100's that is made from a 600 but has the front venturi made smaller to match 470 front venturi resulting in a spreadbore style carb. it's like a 580 cfm carb after that mod. will work well with stock and mild motors and can probably handle slightly more than mild. but you're right it won't handle a .600 lift cam, that's for sure.

• Sponsors (?)

I've got a late model mustang for all the daily driver reliability I could ever want. My classic will always have a carb. The engine compartment looks better, I'll put my 67 up against the 2005 any day, and those side-draft 5.0s are simply FUGLY. As far as performance goes, my carbureated 351W will DESTROY the EFI in my '67, and for less money. Then there's the sound department, never heard an NA EFI that didn't sound like my Honda, exhaust can overpwoer the sewing machine sound but in the induction department they are not in the same league.
You may not like the truth but banging your head against that little brick wall has apparetnly caused some damage.

edbert, i think the whole point of this thread was to find an efi unit that looks like the stock carb with the air cleaner installed. that's why i recommended the holley pro-jection system, it is more stealthy in appearance than an MPFI system. but yeah i agree that that the stock 5.0 style intake is pretty ugly.

bnickel said:
edbert, i think the whole point of this thread was to find an efi unit that looks like the stock carb with the air cleaner installed. that's why i recommended the holley pro-jection system, it is more stealthy in appearance than an MPFI system. but yeah i agree that that the stock 5.0 style intake is pretty ugly.
Yeah, I agree and I should not have hijacked it even if that was not my intent. But sticking to the subject of a carb-look inhjection system...

Isn't there a mechanical injection setup on the market with a center mounted arrangement? A buddy of mine has a '67 Vette with mechanical injection and he has a air cleaner in the middle too, it has that wonderful "sucking" sound kind of like a carb (although not as loud) yet also has the wonderful music of the mechanical injectors which remind me a little of the solid lifter orchestra from the K-code.
:flag:

Edbert said:
I've got a late model mustang for all the daily driver reliability I could ever want. My classic will always have a carb. The engine compartment looks better, I'll put my 67 up against the 2005 any day, and those side-draft 5.0s are simply FUGLY. As far as performance goes, my carbureated 351W will DESTROY the EFI in my '67, and for less money. Then there's the sound department, never heard an NA EFI that didn't sound like my Honda, exhaust can overpwoer the sewing machine sound but in the induction department they are not in the same league.

You may not like the truth but banging your head against that little brick wall has apparetnly caused some damage.

LOL....
You need to go listen to some good running five liters then... there is nothing sewing machine about them. Mine for example has a nice lope at 900rpm. And thanks to the 1.75 ceramic headers, Bassani X, and cat back there is no sewing machine involved.... Now as for fugly under the hood, 1. when youre looking at my taillights you dont see whats under the hood :D 2. the powdercoated trickflow intake, alloy heads, and CnL / Sabresport intake tube look pretty good (imho)

If you don't like injection thats fine... there are lotts of guys who aren't into it either cuz they dont understand it, dont know how to tune it, resistant to change, etc... and thats fine, its their thing. But dont mistake your own perception of things as "the truth". The "truth" is relative to your point of view....

I myself run a holley on my fastback, but will be converting it over to mpi with an accel tb and a set of about 36lb-ers. But first I have to decide if I want to go with another eec4 and a tweecer, or a new AEM set-up.... or maybe a used DFI. I dont know, havent decided yet, but rest assured it will run great ice cold or boiling hot (which carbs dont) from death valley to denver, and will have good emissions and great power doing it.

Best of luck to you,
Dave-
:flag: :nice:

I'm running the Edelbrock Pro-Flo efi setup, and the only reason it doesn't look like a carb setup is that you can see about 3 inches of fuel rail on each side, and there are a few extra wires going to the engine. It runs great, it wasn't all that hard to install, it is programmable(comes with its own hand held programmer that stays in the car),and it looks waaaay better than the long runner 5.0 setups. It might have a little less torque than the long runner settups, but the runners are fairly straight to the ports. the only problem is that the runners neck down to stock head port size, so I am going to have to port the manifold when I take the engine apart next. Other than that I'm happy with it. A carb would have been cheaper though....( then again the efi setup included alot of parts, like the pump, distributer, fuel lines, etc, that you would end up upgrading eventually anyways.)