Fuel Efi Block Into A Carb'd Stang

GoldenEagle91

Dec 25, 2012
Hi Guys,

I am writing in regards to a fuel system setup. I currently have an 87 block in the works of being rebuilt and it will eventually be going into my 79 with a carb on it. My questions are as follows

• If I wanted to use the stock mechanical fuel pump would all I have to do is pop in a fuel pump eccentric or would I also need to change my timing cover?
  • If I opt to just leave it as it is and put an electronic fuel pump in from Holley (something like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-801-1/overview/) will I need to drop the fuel tank and remove the mechanical pump that is in there or will it not be an issue?
Hoping someone can guide me on this. Thanks in advance.

Andrew

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I think you may have just highlighted my ignorance. I am pretty new to all of this. I currently have an EFI timing cover on my engine that I've been rebuilding and it will be going into the 79 I just picked up. I think what I may have to do is run an electric in line fuel pump with a regulator to the carb to be square on everything. Does that make any sense to you?

I just looked up the blue pump that you were referring to and it uses the same regulator I was looking at with the red pump. They both come in right around the same price. I see that the blue pump has a greater free flow rate and maximum pressure, is there any benefit to having a greater flow rate and higher pressure? From what I understand, a carburetor likes having between 7 and 9 psi if I'm not mistaken.

the biggest difference is the hp level they support. the larger pump will give you more room to make more power later. you have to regulate them down either way. i have a black pump for mine.