EFI guys.... need opinions please!

Focker67

May 30, 2005
Baton Rouge, LA
I am very interested in ditching my carb, mostly because of the way I smell when driving my car. I was leaning towards the Holley Pro jection setup due to it's carb (factory) style look. I have many parts to a 93 EFI system though. I have a computer, dist. and a fuel pump and lines that should work if I go that route. The Holley system looks as though it should be easy to use and install.

What is everyone's opinion on the projection?
My car is a weekend car and is not raced.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

since you already have quite a few of the efi parts you may want to consider a kit from www.mass-floefi.com they have a conversion kit that is really cool. it uses a carb style throttle body but also fuel rails as well. they have a couple different versions a complete kit that has everything needed or a partial kit to convert over to this style if you already have all the stock efi stuff. since you already have quite a bit of the efi parts you may want to consider the partial kit. price wise the partial kit isn't a whole lot more than the digital pro-jection.

I think the Ford EFI is a very viable way to go, even for fairly heavily modified engines. I'm making 445rwhp on a 306EFI with a Novi supercharger, using the Ford EEC-IV. The car is very well-mannered for around-town driving, but screams when you ask for it. I had a custom chip burned during a dyno run, of course, but the system is very forgiving for lighter mods - I ran all last year without the blower at roughly 370fwhp without touching the stock tune. The car ran very strong and retained very good street manners. In addition, the Fox Mustang guys have ensured easy and cheap access to parts for many years to come. Open the Summit catalog and there are twenty pages of Mustang bolt-ons with multiple manufacturers for each - there's something to be said for that...

Thanks for the responses! I noticed the holley kit is only recommended for engines up to 275 hp so that will rule it out for me. I am almost there no so no room to upgrade. I am leaning toward the mass-flo system.

D Hearne, let's try and hook up, My Edelbrock 600 has always ran rich. I bought it because I was told you could put them on and "forget about them" as in they wouldn't need much tinkering during weather changes or engine upgrades.
Are you in Lafayette?

I live 20 miles north just outside of Opelousas. Never tinkered with Edelbrocks, just Holleys, but I can try. I can also show you how the roller 302 in my Ranger runs with it's Holley 750, If I hadn't told you, you'd be hard pressed to say what was under the hood after driving it, and it's actually too big for it. What cam's in your motor ?

The GT cam will work OK with a carb. My 5.0 in the Ranger's got a stock F4TE truck cam, it's just a tad smaller in duration than yours. and the overlap's not there. Works great with a carb, pulls a hard vacuum right off the bat which I think helps a lot. We're planing on beign out of town next week, but the week after, I'm off on Sunday, that's the soonest I can do anything.

The Megasquirt ECU is also an option.

I used a 900cfm holley pro-jection TBI unit that I bought off of ebay, then used the megasquirt ECU to run it. Seems to be working great so far and if you took a look under my hood you'd have to look pretty closely to tell that it's not a carbed engine.

A factory EFI swap would be easy and not that expensive for you to do since there are so many EFI intakes, and stuff out there for the 302 engine.

You can tune your carb to get it to run much much better though. I did a couple posts on edelbrock carb tunning on here. let me see if I can hunt um down.

bottlefed, I have enjoyed reading your write ups and am familiarizing myself with Megasquirt.

Jkelly I will check out the tuning posts

Thanks for the replies, I have over 11 grand in the car and I can't drive it or I will get a headache and smell like I just mowed the grass, very frustrating.

Back when I had a 302 I was running a carter 625 carb. It was perfect, and pretty close out the box. I'm know you can lean out your fuel mixture by changing jets/metering rods on the carb. The thing that took the most playing with was the choke setting, but that mostly only effected part throttle response, and idle.

The carb was brandnew?
You could open up your carb and look at the jets in the fuel bowls to see what your working with. I'll dig up my tunning sheet and get you some numbers to look at. I think on my 625 I optimized my carb and was runing .95 primarys, .98 secondaries, and the 7420 metering rods which I think are .074 diameter.

I read through those threads and relized that the best one is missing. It explained step by step how to tune the edelbrock type carbs. So I was going to start writing a new one when I found a couple articles on tunning on the web.

This one's got great pictures
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/1071/

This one's got a good step by step guide.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/eps_sect2.html

I'm thinking that you need to definately tune your idle circuit. I use a vacuum gauge to do mine. Sure I still look at the engine RPM as described in the article, but it seems, to me, that the engine vacuum is a better way to do it. Basically you adjust each side until you acheive the highest vacuum. You can adjust your idle in about two minutes and it will make a profound change in drivibility. I'm thinking your idle is set real rich. Okay try it and let me know what happens.

Oh the other thing that will affect your idle and drivibility is the choke setting. Make sure that it is set to the right location.

If you need jets an metering rods for your carb they are availible from summit racing parts. They have them in the edelbrock calibration kit...
http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...inresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115

or separately...
http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...ring+rods&x=0&y=0&N=115&searchinresults=false

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...inresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115