EFI Guys - TFI Coil Location and Bracket

• Sponsors (?)

It really does not matter where you mount it. On Fox cars the coil was mounted on the shock tower and on SN95 cars it was mounted on the engine. You can do whichever you like. If you are using an aftermarket coil just consult the manufacturer to see if the coil can take the vibration of being mounted directly on the engine.

Myself, I prefer as short a coil wire as possible so I mount my coils on the engine.

Best not to mount to the engine, even if manufacturer says it's OK.

Engines are hot and transfer alot of vibrations to the coil.

Anyplace will work... we're getting into hair-splitting terriroty here.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the responses. I know about mounting with regard to vibration, heat, etc. What I was asking is where specifically those with TFI coils did in fact mount them and on what bracket.

I've got two TFI brackets. Neither are from a Mustang. Just wondered what was the popular bracket to use and where people were putting it

I just finished making a bracket to mount the coil to the left side cylinder head. Actually remade the bracket, I put one together quickly this spring and while it worked well I wanted one that looked better.

I made a template of the threaded holes in the end of the head, transfered these to a (first attempt) thin sheet of stainless steel. I cut some threaded rod and used some spaces to leave some space between the plate and the head. I drilled four holes thru the plate matching the mounting holes of the TFI coil. Using some spacers I mounted the coil to the plate. Air space between the coil and plate, air space between the plate and head.

My newest version used a 1/4 thick plate of polished aluminum instead of the thin stainless plate, more rigid and slightly larger in size.

You might be able to see enough detail in the photos of my car posted on CarDomain, these are of the older version. The new one is sitting on the workbench at home. I will try and take some photos of it this evening and post them on CarDomain. If I had the time I would make a few of these and offer them on Ebay, in my opinion, much nicer than any I've seen available.

On my '68 I used the Ford Racing coil and mounted it to the front of the drivers side shock tower. You can see the bracket peeking out behind the battery in the photo below...

68Restoman

519500_77_full.jpg

66hertzclone,

I saw yours. That's along the lines of what I was originally thinking.

68restoman,

I now have a FOX bracket and as said above, it mounts to the shock tower in the location of yours. That was my second thought.

Thank you both for your pictures and descriptions.

I went to the junkyard this morning and ended up with a FOX and Bronco II brackets. The Bronco II bracket is hat section bracket with four mounting holes all on same plane. Will allow for mounting on the tower, apron or front of the cylinder head.

The ones I already had were from an SN95 and a 3.8 Taurus. If I cut a tab off the bottom of the Taurus bracket, I can mount that one on two of the existing waterpump bolts.

Haven't decided which I will use yet.

From LEFT to RIGHT:

FOX, Bronco II, Taurus, SN95

Attachments

• brackets.JPG
    brackets.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 747
597572_92_full.jpg

597572_91_full.jpg

597572_94_full.jpg

There it is, if was going to do it all over again, I'd not drill the coil mounting screw holes thru the plate. I would drill them down just before they would go thru, then tap the holes and use studs, holes or bolts thru the back. Oh well, if I bored this winter I have enough left over to make two more....

I used the Fox coil bracket and simply flipped over one of the tabs and mounted it on the shock tower. As you look at the coil mounted to the bracket. I just took the lower left tab and bent it backward to match the same thickness as the other mounting points and it was a real nice fit. I painted it with low gloss black to match the engine bay. I also used rubber washers against the shocktower. I can send you a picture if needed.