EFI vs Carb

• Sponsors (?)

You all can type whatever you want, and live your fantasies ... :lol:
I have to ask though ... do any of you even own cars?

There is no way, absolutely no way that pump gas can support 500+ RWH ... go read your magazines and listen to your buddies beer driven stories .. 'cause anyone in touch with reality knows whats real and whats fantasy.

And your 500+ RWH pump gas cars are as real as Peter Pan ... or maybe Bigfoot ... LOL

95_StangGT said:
Silly little fool.
Your age/ignorance is showing.

do elaborate on my age and ignorance.

ignorance would be someone saying an EFI car on pump gas wont put down 500.

personally, my age doesnt even matter here. dont be upset because a 20 year old could hurt your feelings with the knowledge he has attained by going to school and working on vehicles.

go to honda forums if you want to be an ass. Im sure that rocket **** you drive will get you there in no time... seeing how it has all the makings of a 14 second car...

when you get on my level, you come talk to me. but for now, cease responding and wait a couple years for your brain to learn about computers.

clown

95Vert said:
I was talking to a local guy and was telling him that my goal would be to put down between 500-600 hp/tq to the wheels in an n/a engine. He said he could do it with the right parts and asked me to consider going carb, he said it was less crap to work with. What you guys think? I'm thinking of a 393 stroker.

Do a 408 or 427. Its gonna cost the same to build when all is said and done. I like the 408 because I like the idea of a square motor... it just makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I know its not dead nuts, but pretty close.

Budget aside, getting to 500rw with a 408 and the right parts on pump gas is EASY.

AFR 225 or TFS CNC 225 milled to 11 to 1
Super Victor EFI port matched
Custom Cam
1 7/8 Headers into a 3 inch exhaust
Flat top pistons from Probe (or whomever you want)
42 pound injectors
LMAF

The only advantage of a 393 is that you can use the stock pistons and rods, but who the hell wants hypeurcrappy, heavy, and brittle pistons anyway?

The keys to this will be 1 - does it pass emissions and 2 - You gotta nail the tune.

95_StangGT said:
Silly little fool.
Your age/ignorance is showing.

Stop trolling. You are out of your element. This is a very doable project and if you want to spit misinformation take your crap somewhere else.

Adam

Wow, this one got a little off topic. All aside from some newb being the subject matter expert, I've always been looking into this same question, and this has been a pretty informative thread

I for one will have 500 whp on pump when I get the injectors to support it. (484whp 496 wtq @5k RPMS maxed out injectors)

95_StangGT said:

There is no way, absolutely no way that pump gas can support 500+ RWH ... go read your magazines and listen to your buddies beer driven stories .. 'cause anyone in touch with reality knows whats real and whats fantasy.

And your 500+ RWH pump gas cars are as real as Peter Pan ... or maybe Bigfoot ... LOL

95_StangGT said:

Hey newbie get your facts straight before opening your mouth. From my experience people have talked about making 500 + horses on pump gas but they have proven it on dynos not only on magazines it is proven you can make 500+ horses on pump gas my friend has a 2001 saleen with a stroker kit custom cams, ported heads, longtubes, intake ,blower and a custom tune he made 523 RWH:hail2: on the dyno on 91 OCTANE GAS thats damm good the gas mileage isnt the greatest since he cant keep his foot of the gas but it is streetable and on pump gas .Technology has gotten way better for fuel injection that now it can easily surpass carb setups but its not cheap but overall I would stay with EFI for drivability reasons and better performance in all weather.

This car = 529rwhp on pump gas, I know this because he's a good friend of mine and I've oggled his dyno sheets....and he hasn't had it properly tuned yet

HPIM2713.jpg

and with this....who knows? He hasn't gotten it dyno'd with the bottles yet...300 dry shot

HPIM2714.jpg

Attachments

• HPIM2713.jpg
    HPIM2713.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 48
  • HPIM2714.jpg
    HPIM2714.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 32
Some of you guys are talking boost...I think this is wanting to be done N/A.

Getting that horsepower isn't as easy as some may want you to seem. The wallet takes a hit...spend wisely...and spend a lot...and you got it.

5spd GT said:
Some of you guys are talking boost...I think this is wanting to be done N/A.

Getting that horsepower isn't as easy as some may want you to seem. The wallet takes a hit...spend wisely...and spend a lot...and you got it.

Back on the original topic, yes it will cost a lot to build a 500RWHP N/A stroker. I havn't figured up exactly how much I have in mine, but I would guess it's right around $8-9K. I bought mostly used parts, found some good deals, and did all the work myself. A friend of mine put together a 427 at the same time time I was getting my engine together. He went with a built long block from Delk Performance and ended up spending around $14k from what I hear. Here's our dyno sheets
Mine,
dyno%20006.jpg

His,
8-26-2006%20057.jpg

The only differences between them is that he's running a Spyder intake and TFS stage 3 cam, and I have the Victor intake and custom cam. Both cars are very streetable. For 500RWHP, I would go with the Spyder intake and a custom cam. 550-600hp should be possible if you're willing to sacrifice driveability and/or rev it to 6500-7000.

One more thing to add, so far I have the better E.T. out of these two cars. ;) 12.20@120 vs. his 12.40@119(different days, same track)

Attachments

• dyno%20006.jpg
    dyno%20006.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 35
  • 8-26-2006%20057.jpg
    8-26-2006%20057.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 25
Yeah, both our cars have potential to possibly reach 500rwhp. I've got a few plans for this winter to get me a few more hp, and Jonathon says he may go with a custom cam to shoot for 500.

Aside from the Troll cagando palo, the info on this thread has been very useful. I don't want to give up driveability, like aforementioned, I want power steering and a/c on an n/a car, with no overheating problems. I guess I'll just keep reading up and following your threads Mike so I can learn what works and what doesn't.
Thanks

Just chiming in to say the retard who says 500 RWHP isn't doable on pump gas needs to be bant. :ban:

And as far as Carb / EFI.... In the end, it comes up being personal choice. I'm personally running a carb, and love it. I love simplicity on my car, it's painless to work on, I can take the valvecovers off without taking anything else off blah blah blah... But I don't drive my car except when I feel like it... Carbureted isn't for everyone.

Sooo, Good luck on the choice.

I completed my engine build last May and took it on the Hot Rod Power Tour. 1100 miles and no driveability problems other than a long tube header that became overly friendly with the New Jersey roads. (BTW Kooks rebent the header and sent it back to me at no charge.)

Carbed and happy in Florida.