EGR cap?! Where the hell is it?!?!

CManT1914

Feb 5, 2004
Killeen, Texas
egr_kit.jpg

The one on the left. Killeen/Ft. Hood and surrounding area with 250,000 people here, and NOBODY has it! I've been to Home Depot twice, even sent my dad there looking for it, went to Lowes, Ace Hardware, Killeen Propane and Hardware, and even asked my buddy who's a plumber and he can't find one. WTF?? It IS 5/8" right? Is that inside diameter? Cus I tried a 3/4" ID just for kicks and giggles and it was too big. I can't find one for the LIFE of me, and I NEED IT BAD!! HUGE EXHAUST LEAK!! Car's running pig rich and bucking because of it. It made my g/f sick the other day cus of the fumes. :( I am NOT gonna pay freaking $20 for some stupid wazee cap. SOMEBODY has to have one other than them! HELP!!!

• Sponsors (?)

R.J. said:
Do these caps thread directly on or do you kind of have to make your own thread path?

They're supposed to thread on quite easily.

Man I've looked at Lowe's and Home Depot both for these caps and couldn't find them either place. I'll check again this afternoon I guess.

I think that might be a regional thing, because I looked at the Lowes by me, and they definitely did NOT have it.

Maybe someone who's Lowes has it would like to make a buck or two by mailing Chris and me some?

GRGT1994 said:
I think that might be a regional thing, because I looked at the Lowes by me, and they definitely did NOT have it.

Maybe someone who's Lowes has it would like to make a buck or two by mailing Chris and me some?

Hell yea! I KNOW they didn't have it when I went. I was thinking maybe they are just out, but I didn't even see a bin for them. On the other hand, Tim (18mustangs) said he bought that same cap from the Home Depot here. So I guess I'll check them out again.

Go to a plumbing supply place, like a place that sells plumbing, heat,fixtures that kinda stuff...they should be able to give you a 5/8 cap....

Chit I'll go buy one and o/nite it to ya... :D That'll be $47.00 please...

they werent in a bin at mine. THey were on al wall in their little plastic packages. I would just ask someone in the plumbing department for a 5/8" flair cap. If you guys STILL cant get ahold of one Ill get some and mail em out. I think they were like a buck something.

Yeah, a 5/8 cap will work, BUT the threads are actually metric. Wazee sells a proper metric cap. I got one and it works perfect, threads all the way down (like 6-8 turns). The 5/8 cap will sorta thread on a turn or two, then bind on the threads, and feel like it's tightened. So it's not really on all the way, but it may not really matter.... You may end up f-ing up the header threads, though, so keep that in mind if you should decide to reuse those threads (for an EGR) later.

Rick

take the EGR tube, cut it and remove the nut on it, put two pennys inside the cap, they are a perfect fit. Tighten it till you can't turn it anymore, crank the car and let them get hot, shut the car off and tighten it till you can't anymore again. IT will be sealed for good. The pennys are copper, think about it, the good exhaust gaskets are copper etc..... I done this and it hasn't leaked in two years.

just my .02 cents

jason

mytight95 said:
take the EGR tube, cut it and remove the nut on it, put two pennys inside the cap, they are a perfect fit. Tighten it till you can't turn it anymore, crank the car and let them get hot, shut the car off and tighten it till you can't anymore again. IT will be sealed for good. The pennys are copper, think about it, the good exhaust gaskets are copper etc..... I done this and it hasn't leaked in two years.

just my .02 cents

jason

I did that. I even JB welded over the penny after that, and they both melted or something and fell through. Then I put two pennies in, and then both the nut and the pennies completely disappeared one day. :( My friend got me two caps, one to use, and one for backup, lol.