*EGR Delete*

340.29m/s

Sep 22, 2003
Blue Springs, Mo
Ok, so I have been reading up on the Diable Predator and noticed that you can disable the EGR valve.

What exactly is this for? Are there any performance gains to it or is it kinda like the O2 disble (just to keep a Check Engine light from going off)

If you DO disable it in the tuner, do you also have to actually disconnect the valve?

(I did do a search in the 4.6 area and there weren't any posts on this topic)

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't delete the EGR for a street driven vehicle. Exhaust gas is inert and is fed back into the intake manifold in measured amounts primarily to keep combustion temperatures below the threshold where oxides of nitrogen (NOx) form. It has the added benefit of helping to keep spark-knock in check at part throttle operation.

EGR is "off" at idle and at WOT, when you need the power. For every day driving, part-throttle acceleration from a light or cruising on the highway, I'd rather have the reduced emissions and improved knock resistance EGR offers.

the egr is off in open loop but in closed loop it varys by the load of the motor. On the 96-98 the egr valve operates off of vacuum. There is no power to be gained but if you take it off it does lower the amount of soot in you intake and the carbon on your pistons which can cause spark knock. On some vehicles it has a switch to cut off the egr at wide open throttle but not ours. This is my understanding from reading my automotive book and from experiences from working on egr systems.

tangerine said:
the egr is off in open loop but in closed loop it varys by the load of the motor. On the 96-98 the egr valve operates off of vacuum. There is no power to be gained but if you take it off it does lower the amount of soot in you intake and the carbon on your pistons which can cause spark knock. On some vehicles it has a switch to cut off the egr at wide open throttle but not ours. This is my understanding from reading my automotive book and from experiences from working on egr systems.

deleted EGR with no adverse effects, do a search at the corral or modular depot and they will have many threads on the subject.

I agree there is no performance gains, that you will se on a drag strip, but it really helps knock down the clutter of the engine bay and makes things like intake swaps, cam swaps that much easier. there is a slight increase in part throttle power where the crap isn't being pumped into your intake, and my gas mileage was unaffected.

if you have e-check, don't mess with it. if not, go ahead global warming is BS anyway :)

ON EDIT: i did it, it saves about 3lbs