EGR question

I was wondering if any one has a diagram of how the egr system works. I was currious how the gasses go from the ports in the heads, through the intake and throttle body spacer. Also how the gasses go from the piping on the rear of the heads, smog pump, h-pipe air tube, ect. I am wanting to eliminate my egr spacer. I have no smog pump and the tubes coming off the back of the heads are already capped off.

• Sponsors (?)

mustangdaren said:
I was wondering if any one has a diagram of how the egr system works. I was currious how the gasses go from the ports in the heads, through the intake and throttle body spacer. Also how the gasses go from the piping on the rear of the heads, smog pump, h-pipe air tube, ect. I am wanting to eliminate my egr spacer. I have no smog pump and the tubes coming off the back of the heads are already capped off.

I used a fel-pro 1262 intake gaskets that blok off the egr ports going to the intake. Then you need to get a spacer to hold the throttle linkage since it is bolted onto the EGR sacer now if you want to eliminate the spacer itself.

Accufab sells a spacer 3/8" thick to replace the egr spacer - and it has the threaded ears for the cable bracket. It will block off the egr passages on the upper manifold. You could tap the hole in the center of the upper (in the middle of the upper/lower interface) and put a threaded plug in it to block the exhaust gas from entering the upper. I think that would be easier than pulling the lower to change the gaskets - but blocking it off at the head is probably the best solution.

If you remove the egr spacer and go to a thinner replacement spacer to hold your throttle cable, it moves the bracket much closer to the upper intake, and on mine, this made it interfere with the passenger side valve cover. I also had to put a vertical spacer between the upper and lower to raise that up so it would clear the valve cover.

The air pump system pumps air into the heads and the cats - it's a separate system from the egr system. Both tie into the ecu and may cause check engine lights when you unplug them. Also, the ecu allows for the exhaust gas recirculation in the timing and fuel mixture choices it makes. If you remove the egr without turning off the egr function in the computer (takes a chip) some people experience part throttle detonation issues.

I had heard of people rigging the sensor to think it was closed after removing everything but I was going to have it turned off when I get my chip burned. I will probably just leave it on until I get rid of my gt40s and put some AFR's on the car. Just trying to get rid of more useless stuff on the motor to make it easier to work on and cleaner looking.