Eibach lowering springs and IRS.....PITA???

DoubleONegative

Jun 30, 2003
Tioga Cty PA
I want to get some Eibach springs for my 01 Cobra to get rid of the 4x4 look. Is the install i real PITA??? or is it pretty straight forward??? i had Eibachs on hte 97 GT and that wasn't hard at all to install, and i recently helped my buddy put them on his 01 GT vert (also not to hard)

So i guess my question is there anything i should know about the install with the IRS or not???

Thanks

-Mike

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not the most mechanically inclined at all and I did it with no problem. With a friend (1st time for both of us) it took around 6 hours. We were in no hurry.

If you have air tools, it will help. You also need to rent a spring compressor to tighten/compress the rear springs to get them out. Basically, all the springs will need a little gentle :bang: tap to get them out. :D Just take your time and pay attention to the details.

DoubleONegative said:
I want to get some Eibach springs for my 01 Cobra to get rid of the 4x4 look. Is the install i real PITA??? or is it pretty straight forward??? i had Eibachs on hte 97 GT and that wasn't hard at all to install, and i recently helped my buddy put them on his 01 GT vert (also not to hard)

So i guess my question is there anything i should know about the install with the IRS or not???

Thanks

-Mike
http://www.shane.roberts.net/spring.htm

I have an 01 cobra with longtubes that hang i little lower than regular or mid-length headers, does anyone know if dropping 2" would be too low? You know, as in putting a nice "ding" in my headers everytime I hit a bump :doh: Or should I just go with a 1-1/2" drop?

Thanx alot, now that i read these posts, i'm gonna try to put the springs on my self instead of paying for it. I knew I could do it, it's just that IRS that was delaying me!! anyways, you have a nice car. . . . how does that Vortech compare to Prochargers? Are they pretty much the same?

I hear nothing but good things about the Steeda springs...and Kenny Brown's. I have heard that Eibachs tend to sag a little in the rear over time. I just had a solid axle put in the car so I have new rear springs though, so no worries for me. :nice:

how does that Vortech compare to Prochargers? Are they pretty much the same?

Not sure as I only know about the Vortech I have on my car. I went with an S-trim on the recommendation from my tuner/shop. Alternative Auto...he is a Vortech dealer and has a lot of experience with these blowers. I didn't want the E-trim which is "recommended by Vortech" for our 99+ cars. The SC-trim is basically an S-trim with a less agressive cut on the impellar so lower boost numbers. The S-trim is for the GT's since they don't see 7,000 RPM's. I'm seeing 12.8 lbs of boost with the stock pulley and no power pipe. But with my tuners experience, he added the right fuel system, injecters, MAF, and tune to make safe power. I make more power across the entire RPM range and you can really feel the kick in the pants around 3500 RPM's...by 6,000 RPM's things can get real scary for the passenger :shrug: :rlaugh: