elec wp in daily driver?

86turbo

Apr 8, 2006
I have an elec water pump in my track car but it doesn't get driven much so I don't really know how it'd do driving it every day. I'm just wanting to hear opinions from those who run them in their dd and which brand they're using. I live very close to my school, work, stores, etc so my car doesnt get driven more than 20 miles per day, max. A lot of new cars have electric water pumps, power steering pumps, etc stock so I assume if you buy a good brand it'd be just fine.

Opinions?

Drew

• Sponsors (?)

it was just a broad statement about technology advancements. Like the electric fan for ex, I'm sure people were saying how they were unreliable and such. They may have been years back but not its practically standard now.

Btw I thought I heard toyota/lexus either came out with a factory elec wp OR it is in the making for models such as the Prius.

it was just a broad statement about technology advancements. Like the electric fan for ex, I'm sure people were saying how they were unreliable and such. They may have been years back but not its practically standard now.

Btw I thought I heard toyota/lexus either came out with a factory elec wp OR it is in the making for models such as the Prius.
I was only asking because I've never seen it. If you are looking towards Toyota as an engineering example, you might want to reconsider. Someone on another forum posted a thread that showed that they used ZIP TIES as a solution to prevent the gas pedal from sticking. I heard on the radio yesterday morning that because of all of the recalls they are expecting sales to drop by 75%. I'm not trying to persuade you either way, but it's something to think about.

I've wondered about this myself. You see magazines like Engine Masters build "street/strip" engines all the time with electric water pumps. I guess longevity and reliability would be the question, since you already know they are strong performers with less parasitic drag.

Something about "electric" and "water", doesn't jive too well with me..

I've heard they are reliable and work good but I always see them installed on drag/weekend cars. Once I start seeing a significant number of street mustang setups run with these, then I will too. Until then, you are the guinea pigs! :D

i believe the only belt that the scion that my wife drives goes from the crank to the alt and maybe the AC , but i could be wrong. i do know that it has a electric ps pump.
nope, it has the belt driven wp, just electric psp.

Ive considered an electric WP for a while, just concerned with reliability. I only drive my car around 2000k miles a year at the most so next time a pump is needed i may give it a shot.

There is nothing wrong with the Ford water pump, or even aftermarket pumps like edelbrocks and such. On a street car where there is ample air flow from going down the road IMO it's a waste of money. Now with my old maverick drag car, I installed an electric pump due to the crowded staging lanes, and lack of airflow when sitting waiting to run, hot laps...They'll work on the street, but I think it is overkill!

There is nothing wrong with the Ford water pump, or even aftermarket pumps like edelbrocks and such. On a street car where there is ample air flow from going down the road IMO it's a waste of money. Now with my old maverick drag car, I installed an electric pump due to the crowded staging lanes, and lack of airflow when sitting waiting to run, hot laps...They'll work on the street, but I think it is overkill!

its more about parasitic loss and drag on the motor to me. Ive never had a problem with my ford pump but, being belt driven, its more drag on the motor. I actually have no idea what kind of a gain you'd pick up though from an electric pump though and obviously if its like 5hp, its not worth it to me :shrug:

I run an electric water pump on my 350 Fiero, it works well and the speed at whitch the engine revs up is stunning. Also you have full coolant flow at idle and you can also run the waterpump when the engine is not running (an engine reaches its highest temps after it is shut down and coolant stops flowing) I have mine on a turbo timer so it stays on for 5 min after shutdown.

I run an electric water pump on my 350 Fiero, it works well and the speed at whitch the engine revs up is stunning. Also you have full coolant flow at idle and you can also run the waterpump when the engine is not running (an engine reaches its highest temps after it is shut down and coolant stops flowing) I have mine on a turbo timer so it stays on for 5 min after shutdown.

i think i like that idea a lot. Its low on my priority list but it sounds like itd help cool down quite a bit. Thats why i have my fan on a toggle, i usually let it run a bit after shut down.