Electric fan controler temp settings

795.0pacecar

lover of pudgy polygamists
Jul 11, 2003
Senoia, GA
I just installed a taurus SHO fan on my car and a SPAL fan controller. The fan controller starts out at 50% power then moves up to 100% after it reaches the temp you program it to come on at. I was wondering at what temp should have the fan come on (low power) then at what temp should high power be set to come on? I have a stock 193 thermostate. Right now I have it set to come on at 180 and for high power to come on at 210. It doesn't seem right though.

• Sponsors (?)

Um, generally one does not want the fan controller to have the fan come on below the t-stat rating. Once the car is up to temp, the fan would never really shut off.

If running a 195/197 stat (193 is new to me), I guess I would have the low speed come on at ~210 and off at 202-ish. Have high speed come on at 220 or so.

This is where a 180 stat would really help with setting the fan up so you dont need to get so hot. A mech fan is always working, so you dont need that bufferzone with the fan temps vs the stat rating.

If it helps just for comparison, the 94-95 low speed fan comes on at 208*F, off at 200*F. High speed doesnt come on till 226. Now this is stupid, but gives an idea of a stock threshold (where emissions was a concern more than what is best for the motor).

A 180 stat would allow low speed to be ~195/187 (on/off, respectively) and you could set high speed whereever you want above that (on at 205-208, etc).

I have not used either of those products, so take this as my crude, general two cents.

Good luck.

I said 193 for the t-stat because thats what is stamped on it and was stamped on the stock one I took out a long time ago. I had a 180 but it took a crap after my head swap so I got a new one from the parts store but they gave me the wrong one. I used it anyway because it was late. I woulld realy hate to pull the thermostate housing off again because it realy sucks to change thermostates in these cars. BTW thanks for the imput!

bcd said:
if you set it too low the fan will come on sittin in the sun in the summer

It shouldn't, my fan uses the temp gauge sending unit not a radiator probe. It would take an aweful lot of sittin in the sun to warm that engine up to 180+ degrees, plus the fan doesn't run with the car off.

I saw a 193 once also... I have a 195 in mine lol. Have your fan turn on at 210 and off at 195. If you change thermostate, just change the SPAL settings again. I'm hoping to install a 185 in mine and set the fan to turn on at 205 and off at 185 or something like that.