Electric Fan Questions:

WORTH said:
If your temp guage is acurate, 200 is not a problem, I run a 195 t-stat, mine is always around 200. with a 13 lb cap you can run about 240-250 without overheating.

good point, I am running a 160, I remember reading in a long past post that if I go to a higher thermostat (say 190ish) that it may reduce the heating problem???

• Sponsors (?)

puller fans are best. I highly reccommend an electric fan. and mounting through the radiator is fine, but if you make your own brakets it is VERY IMPORTANT that you mount the fan dirctly on the ratiator so that there is no gap between the radiator and the fan.

Mike98GT said:
puller fans are best. I highly reccommend an electric fan. and mounting through the radiator is fine, but if you make your own brakets it is VERY IMPORTANT that you mount the fan dirctly on the ratiator so that there is no gap between the radiator and the fan.

I don't know where you get your info, but pushing air is much more effecient than pulling, and as for tieing to the radiator, I've repaired many many radiators that morons tied fans to and the ties cut slots threw the tubes. And if you use a pusher it doesn't have to be touching the rad because it IS more effecient.

WORTH said:
I don't know where you get your info, but pushing air is much more effecient than pulling, and as for tieing to the radiator, I've repaired many many radiators that morons tied fans to and the ties cut slots threw the tubes. And if you use a pusher it doesn't have to be touching the rad because it IS more effecient.

You remind me of.......well, ME. :D :nice:

LMan said:
theres nothing wrong with 200*. If you couldnt go to 200*, then a pressurized system wouldnt be needed, since you still have 12 degrees to go :D

Who started the urban legend that 200* was hot? :shrug:

Not me. Boiling point drops for every 500' you go up. Try 192* :D Or is it the other way around? :shrug: :D

Ozsum2 said:
Not me. Boiling point drops for every 500' you go up. Try 192* :D Or is it the other way around? :shrug: :D

the less the pressure the lower the boiling point, at 29 inches of vacuum water will boil at room temp. You are correct. Forgot about you naturally High Guys :D

WORTH said:

Then tell me why almost all new cars have puller fans.

WORTH said:
Do you have any links or reference sources explaining why pushing is more efficient than pulling?

It's counter intuitive to me.

Hack said:
Do you have any links or reference sources explaining why pushing is more efficient than pulling?

It's counter intuitive to me.

It's just the natural flow of things. The air is going into the radiator and the fan just helps it alone. With it being in front of the radiator, the air hits the radiator at the fastest speed after it leaves the fan, whereas, if it were a puller, the air hits the radiator and is slowed down for a spell until the puller fan pulls it on through.

Ozsum2 said:
It's just the natural flow of things. The air is going into the radiator and the fan just helps it alone. With it being in front of the radiator, the air hits the radiator at the fastest speed after it leaves the fan, whereas, if it were a puller, the air hits the radiator and is slowed down for a spell until the puller fan pulls it on through.

I'll try to explain it the best way I can: With a puller there is no resistance such as the fan in the way, also the air speed is constant thoughout the depth on the radiator. With a pusher the air will slow down as it enters the radiator. That's the best I can explain it.

Mike98GT said:
I'll try to explain it the best way I can: With a puller there is no resistance such as the fan in the way, also the air speed is constant thoughout the depth on the radiator. With a pusher the air will slow down as it enters the radiator. That's the best I can explain it.

There is still resistance because the radiator slows it down. I want the air hitting the radiator as fast as posible, not the fan on the other side.

Ozsum2 said:
There is still resistance because the radiator slows it down. I want the air hitting the radiator as fast as posible, not the fan on the other side.
I see what you're saying, and I get the logic there. Have you seen any web sites or books, etc that back up what you're saying? I would think that if there's an appreciable difference, companies would explain the difference and try to sell pushers. Theoretically you could run a smaller fan or radiator with the more efficient set up - meaning less $$.

Hack said:
I see what you're saying, and I get the logic there. Have you seen any web sites or books, etc that back up what you're saying? I would think that if there's an appreciable difference, companies would explain the difference and try to sell pushers. Theoretically you could run a smaller fan or radiator with the more efficient set up - meaning less $$.

No, I haven't looked. But, the manufacturers probably found out that a puller is adequate, only not as good as a pusher. Then, there is the design problems with it being in front of the radiator and with it being less protected up there. They probably wanted it more protected in the engine bay. Probably a trade off, but if a puller is good enough, what difference does it make.

Ozsum2 said:

It seems to me that the air is going to naturally flow into the radiator and that sucking the air through it would just increase that flow. If the air hits the fan it already passed through the radiator. Placing the fan on the other side would do the same but it seems almost as though it could potentially create an area of resistance in front of the radiator even if its spinning. I understand what your saying because the air could be flowing faster on the backside of the fan than on the front side in which case the pusher would have the advantage. I have no idea if this is the case but it would be rather easy to test.

Ozsum2 said:
No, I haven't looked. But, the manufacturers probably found out that a puller is adequate, only not as good as a pusher. Then, there is the design problems with it being in front of the radiator and with it being less protected up there. They probably wanted it more protected in the engine bay. Probably a trade off, but if a puller is good enough, what difference does it make.
Good point about protection. On my step daughter's 92 Buick the fan mounting bracket got crushed when she rear ended someone.

The thought about the fan blocking incoming air at higher speeds is a good one. I'm thinking that a pusher is better sitting still, and a puller is better at anything over 15 mph or so.