Electric fan vs mechanical

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't worry about the heads or anything from it running 270*, especially if they're the stock irons. It's not good to run that high, but I doubt they're warped. I used to run a carb'd race motor with stock irons at that temp... 300 was the limit on that motor, and never warped them.

In order not to spend a bajillion on unnecessary stuff, I'd replace the following in order and retest the car after each change:

1. Flush the radiator and block if it hasn't been done in a while
2. replace T-stat
3. replace fan-clutch, and ensure the stock radiator fan shroud is still attached to the radiator
4. Replace water pump
5. replace radiator (pep-boys ultra-cool radiator is a great one if they still sell them)

It would be a good idea to replace the front air deflector, but the stock fan w/ shroud should be pulling enough air through the rad to keep everything cool regardless.

Chris

I wouldn't worry about the heads or anything from it running 270*, especially if they're the stock irons. It's not good to run that high, but I doubt they're warped. I used to run a carb'd race motor with stock irons at that temp... 300 was the limit on that motor, and never warped them.

In order not to spend a bajillion on unnecessary stuff, I'd replace the following in order and retest the car after each change:

1. Flush the radiator and block if it hasn't been done in a while
2. replace T-stat
3. replace fan-clutch, and ensure the stock radiator fan shroud is still attached to the radiator
4. Replace water pump
5. replace radiator (pep-boys ultra-cool radiator is a great one if they still sell them)

It would be a good idea to replace the front air deflector, but the stock fan w/ shroud should be pulling enough air through the rad to keep everything cool regardless.

Chris

the radiator was drained and the block is re-manufactured. i put a 180 degree high flow thermostat in, and the shroud on the radiator is good. i'll keep going down that list though, thanks man:nice: