Electric Fan ?

• Sponsors (?)

The temp sensor.....hm...? Like the temp sensor you put into the fins of your radiator so it can tell the control box how warm the coolant is? OR as in a temp sensor for like a Autometer gauge? I have both. My temp sensor for my Autometer Temp gauge is actually installed into my lower intake where the heater once was. And for the temp sensor that goes into the radiator for my controll box. Its not installed yet lol. But my instructions tell you exactly where to put it. So if you really need to know i could look tomorrow and tell yah. This is according to the Black Magic Xtreme electric fan instructions.

It'll all depend upon the controller. Some units have a probe :rlaugh: that goes inbetween the fins, some use a dedicated sensor, some tap into the ECT, and so on.

Check out one of Jrichker's new diagrams - he tees into a heater hose to create a port, if you will. And he lists a part number for the inexpensive sending unit.

I know you like to do things as effectively as possible, and it's hard to beat the Dc Control unit. It works very very well.

Good luck bud.

If you don't have a high current alternator, you can forget about using the fan. The stock 65 amp alternator isn't big enough to run the fan and the rest of the car.

The best fan controller available today is a DC Control unit. www.dccontrol.com. Cost is about $110. Be prepared to wait 4 weeks or more to receive your controller once you have sent in your payment. The controllers are custom made in small lots and lead times can stretch out.

Next best is a SPAL controller - $70-$90 See http://www.spalusa.com/fans/automated/accessories/fanpwm.html. Ebay will have the controllers for the $70: do a google search and see what you find.

At the bottom are the Hayden or Imperial controllers available through Advance Discount Auto Parts and AutoZone. The non adjustable one is about $30 ( Hayden 226206) and the adjustable one is about $60 (Hayden 226204). I recommend you do a google search on Hayden and the part number for more info.

If you are good with electrical stuff (90% of the people here aren't), build your own controller.

attachment.php

If you are an experienced electronics tech or electrical engineer, email me and it will send you the prototype drawings of a fan controller that is probably as good as the DC Control unit. It is a build it, troubleshoot it yourself item. I will not build or troubleshoot units, so it is not suitable for anyone who isn't really good with electronics.

Alternate placement for a temp gauge sender or temp switch/temp sensor for an electric fan. Use the heater feed that comes off the intake manifold. Cut the rubber hose that connects the manifold water feed to the heater and splice in a tee adapter for the temp gauge sender. Be sure to use the same water feed line as the ECT sensor. That way you will get the most accurate temp readings.

Tee adapter info:
Make a pilgrimage to your local hardware or home supply center and get some copper pipe and a tee that fits the temp gauge sender. Solder two pieces of copper pipe onto a copper pipe tee with threads in the tee part. Find the correct brass fitting to match the temp sender threads to the tee fitting.

attachment.php

Thanks for the Great Info Guys, now I just need to gather some Parts over the Summer and I think I will make it my Winter Project! I was thinking of using the Thermostat Housing as a place for a Sensor, but maybe what you have is a better choice.