Electric Vacuum Pumps

My engine is borderline with running my power brakes at 16-17". I've added a vacuum canister that helped some, but the brakes get real hard in stop&go traffic. I'm thinking about getting an electric vacuum pump. Any recommendations? Any draw backs beside the noise and cost? Also, how noisy is noisy?

• Sponsors (?)

diablopony said:
My engine is borderline with running my power brakes at 16-17". I've added a vacuum canister that helped some, but the brakes get real hard in stop&go traffic. I'm thinking about getting an electric vacuum pump. Any recommendations? Any draw backs beside the noise and cost? Also, how noisy is noisy?

I have an electric vacuum pump that gives extra vacuum to the brake booster. It is application specific and affects only the brakes. These are about $275. You can get a SSBC pump from summit, jegs, or one from MCBrakes.com. Having dealt with all three, my recommendation is to deal with only the first two and avoid the last one.

Then there are the vacuum pumps that increase crankcase vacuum, which will also affect your brakes. these are considerably more expensive, running between $350-500.

I do not notice the noise. My engine is too loud to hear either the vacuum pump or the electric fuel pump. Hell, I don't even hear the radio.

Sounds like you should have enough vacuum to run brakes if your gauge is right. Maybe your booster is bad or you need lines bled? I have 12 lbs vacuum and am installing Hydroboost system that uses PS pump to boost brakes.

I'm with 1969mach1351 on this. With my new '69 buildup (not listed in my signature) I have 11 - 12 inches vacuum and I have no brake problems at all. I would also suggest that you may have a problem with your booster.
Try sucking on the hose that goes to the booster. Does it hold or does the vacuum disipate? It should hold. If it does not, you booster is bad. Does the pedal go to the floor in trafic?
I would hate to see you buy a vac pump if you really don't need one.