Electrical Issues

DrYeRLiNt

Jan 17, 2008
My 97 mustang has had some gremlins since I bought it. The door locks sometimes work decently, other times they barely move at all. It's like they aren't getting enough power. Also, my power windows are both problematic.

The driver's side window will not "catch" below 1/2 way up, it just makes the sound like the teeth aren't lining up. Anyone know if the window has less leverage on the lower half of its travel? I'm thinking it could be the motor wearing out, but I don't want to drop $60 on a guess.

The passenger window will roll up and down completely on it's own, but it's dreadfully slow. It's like the motor is either weak or not getting enough power.

Also, while I'm asking... any idea how much a rear window would be? Half of the defrost lines don't work because the genius who owned it before me removed the tint with a razor blade.

• Sponsors (?)

Anytime you are working on a power window problem, you should look for anything binding the window's movement.

On the driver's window, can you pull it up manually and get past the point? If the window itself moves freely when pulled, consider that it's time for a new window motor/regulator.

On the power locks, have you tested the block ground wire (G300)? The best method to test is with a Volt-ohm meter back to battery negative.

Finally please remember that the Mustang's power windows are protected by a circuit breaker in the engine bay fuse panel as well as a CB in the window motor itself. So if looking for why it may work sometimes and not others, the CB may be the answer.