electrical porblems

• Sponsors (?)

91redlxhatch said:
when i crank the car with a jump.. itll run but the radio and lights wont work and volt gauge is under 8.. but it will still run... do you what the prblem is... is it the battery?? or something else?

Probably the voltage regulator in the alternator...

Well, check the voltage output of the battery with the engine off, then check the voltage output of the alternator when running and the battery again. Come back with the answers and we'll tell ya what's up.

You should also try charging your battery.

Stinger

91redlxhatch said:
but i just bought a new alternator last week..
A new alternator from Ford or one of the junk remnaufactured ones from a autoparts store? When I was helping a friend with his IROC, the first alternator he got was no good. The guy at the store try blaming it on us saying we shorted it out. Well when I finally convinced him I knew more than him he said he'll exchange it. I asked him to test the 2nd alt. before we left, he was reluctant like I was wasting his time. Needless to say that one and even another one was not charging. Then he believed us.(Always make them test the new alternator or starter before you leave the store)My best advice to you is #1 get a basic digital voltmeter from Radioshack and do some research on vehicle charging systems. Also you're better off going to a local rebuilder of alternators and starters, you will pay more money but they tend to change more parts when rebuilding them and not just the part that is broke. Also if your battery was bad and you changed the alternator instead you could have damaged the alternator. If an alternator goes bad on me I usually change the battery at the same time.