Electrical Problem?

So I have been tinkering around with my 93 LX for a few days and I've noticed the alternator was warm, but the battery has been dead on my car for about 4 or 5 days now. So tonight I recharged the battery and started the car up to listen to my new exhaust set up :D Something didn't sound right coming from the engine, something similar sounding to a blower whine. So I look up and my wires on my alternator are smoking like crazy. I hurried up and shut off the car. And I thought buying a new alternator would solve my battery draining problems. Does anyone know what could be wrong with my car? If I don't get this thing fixed It's going down the road and I'm getting a Thunderbird SC or an SN95 V6 Mustang. I've about had it with this car. :nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

All of those cars had big problems with the wiring harnesses. However if it were working fine, you charged the battery and then there was a problem maybe you put in the latter problem.

If you unplug the harness, jump across the "A" termials on the plug and ground the "F" terminal on the regulator you will cause it to "Full Field." Which means the alt. will charge wide open, this makes the whine you were talking about plus it will eventually explode the battery. I've seen alt. that grounded themself and full fielded causing fires.
Take the alt off and have it tested somewhere like autozone or advance for free.

tealtiger93 said:
:OT: What's your exhaust setup?
Um, I'm not sure. I know it's 2" pipe from the header back. And I have a single Dynomax pipe I beleive. The setup was given to me and it was off of a '96 V6 Mustang and it made it rumble like a V8. All it did to my car was quiet it down, and kinda made it sound a bit better. I have no idea what kind of muffler I have. I'm guessing MAC. :shrug:

351wcoupe said:
All of those cars had big problems with the wiring harnesses. However if it were working fine, you charged the battery and then there was a problem maybe you put in the latter problem.

If you unplug the harness, jump across the "A" termials on the plug and ground the "F" terminal on the regulator you will cause it to "Full Field." Which means the alt. will charge wide open, this makes the whine you were talking about plus it will eventually explode the battery. I've seen alt. that grounded themself and full fielded causing fires.
Take the alt off and have it tested somewhere like autozone or advance for free.
The thing is, the alternator is BRAND SPANKING NEW! I'm having it looked at today. If I don't solve this problem, the Mustang is getting sold because I've got my eyes on a 93 Thunderbird LX.