Electrical/Starting problem

90FoxBdy

Founding Member
Jun 17, 2000
Linthicum, MD
Having some problems starting my stang at times. When I go to start it, it seems that all the sudden all power dies. I can turn the key all the way to start and all is fine without the clutch pressed but as soon as I push to push the clutch in and turn the key all the lights dim, the shiftlight flashes and the volts go all the way down like the battery switch was just turned on. Yes the battery is good. However everytime I go to start the car and it wont it does take some voltage away from the battery. Any ideas would be appreciated????
One other thing if I go to jump it from another vehicle it starts up fine. Thanks Ricky :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

My car is AOD and I have had the same problems with the voltage dropping and the lights dimming. What I did was clean the battery terminals, fill the battery with water, see if my belt was tight, checked the wiring and all the other small stuff with it.

I agree with Tim. Since you can jump it fine, that suggests the connections and cables are at least passable. You simply dont have the CCA's to start it.

Load test the old battery and probably end up getting a new one. Have the store bench test the new battery before you buy it - I have had bad ones right off the shelf.

good luck.