eliminating center console

anyone remove their center console completely?? or build their own kit?? ive been searching and havent come up with anything yet.. im planning on removing the a/c controls and mounting my radio in place of it on my 89 gt convertible.. itll fit, but i dont want it to look ugly, now what i mean? anyone try this before??

• Sponsors (?)

like this?
installcomplete2.jpg

check www.gaugeplates.com . they have some different ones there

gsxrmixxer.. yea ill give it to you if ya want.. its black.. n 88_gt_5_oh.. yea thats where i wanna mount the cd player, but im thinkin of gettin rid of the whole console below the radio... so no a/c controls (my a/c is broke anyways).. no nothing except a boot around the shifter and e-brake handle..

I took out my center console, made a plate for the radio out of aluminum. I made a shifter boot out of black vinyl using my sewing machine, my wife showed me how. It came out just as good as the leather or vinyl ones i've seen selling for 30-50 dollars and the materials were less than 5 dollars. I am going to do the same for the e-brake. I made a square ring to go around the shifter boot and hold it down also with aluminum. Looks really nice. Just some ideas for you, have fun.

gunmetal.. got any pics?? im most likely gonna fab. my own too.. i was thinkin of cutting up the stock console around the a/c part, but i dont know if itll come out clean.. and im not that creative when it comes to making the shifter and ebrake boots look good w/o the center console.. know of any places i could buy those pieces?? if not, wanna make me some?? :D

Me like! :nice:

Didn't someone recently post a shot of their white GT with black interior that had the whole center console deleted, armrest and all? It looked pretty killer, and I loved the way they still kept the A/C controls all tucked up nice and neat in their original spot - fab'ed a surround for them somehow, but it looked totally factory-like. Had a groovy old-school vibe going on with it. I'd try something like that with mine, but 1. I don't wanna ditch my stereo, and 2. I'm lazy and require an armrest. :D

I took out my center console, made a plate for the radio out of aluminum. I made a shifter boot out of black vinyl using my sewing machine, my wife showed me how. It came out just as good as the leather or vinyl ones i've seen selling for 30-50 dollars and the materials were less than 5 dollars. I am going to do the same for the e-brake. I made a square ring to go around the shifter boot and hold it down also with aluminum. Looks really nice. Just some ideas for you, have fun.

post some pics would love to see that and where did you get the aluminum from?after seeing a ford gt interior last year gave some ideas for my car . i think with my dremel i could come up with something

That's what i'm doing steadfast. I have too many projects going right now to make you much other than the actual vinyl boots themselves(minus aluminum trim rings) I should have pictures of mine let's see....

View attachment 49833

On the upper right corner of the trim ring in the photo it's just the hardware taped to it. Just FYI.

Shouldn't be too hard to fab a little box like that out of aluminum, should it? Trim it up right, paint it to match, and ta-daaa! You're set. Then just get the rest of it all lined out - shifter and parking brake boots/bezels, decent carpet underneath - and you're pretty much good to go.

Y'know, I just might get a wild hair in my nose and actually try to tackle something like this in the summer. I dunno if I'd hang onto the HVAC stuff or not, being that I don't have heat OR air, but I'd at least have the radio, either way. I figure I can score a universal bolt-in armrest from JC Whitney that'll look decent and suffice for my arm, and ta-daaaa! Unbolt that heavy ol' hunk of crap center console with its fussy ashtray door and give it a toss.

But, ummm ... what about the mirror adjustment button? Relocate it somewhere else? Or just convert the mirrors to manual control? The lighter outlet would have to get relocated elsewhere, of course.

Your going to have to custom make the braket for the radio and a/c knobs. You will also need to buy the consel delete parts for an 79-86 mustang along with new carpet..

that doesn't look bad but myself i have to have a center console.i am in the process of putting an asc mclaren center console in mine. i already have cut out the ashtray section and plastic welded a cup section from a 99 stang and going to wrap the whole thing in leather. i will post some pics whenever i get it done.

hey frankie ,i have not seen your capri but i love unique looking one of a kind cars .i love foureyed cars too but i think your car is different and i don't mind when someone creates something that you don't see on every corner.

Ya, I don't know about you guys but would you even need to worry about the side view adjustments? How often do you really change them? Yeah, in my family car between me and my wife we change them all the time, but she doesn't get to drive my toys so I set once and I'm done.