Emblem guidance.

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
15 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
I have '65/'66 Mustang GT fender emblems on my '02 GT (wanted something different, gets a lot of compliments), and ever since I moved to Delaware the salt air (I'm less than 5 miles from the bay) has been getting to my emblems. I was wondering if someone could tell me what the difference is between the '65 and '66 emblems (a different part number is specified for the two model years, but appearance is the same). I can't remember which model year I purchased since it was a while back, and I'm wondering if one set might be less susceptible to the salt air than the set I currently have.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Here's a pic of the emblems shortly after I installed them.
View attachment 262123

Here's a pic of them today. You can see how the salt air has affected them.
View attachment 262124

• Sponsors (?)

I have tried polishing them and cleaning them up, but it looks like there is some weather damage under the surface as well as on the surface itself. I'm not sure they're salvageable.

As I recall one was Ceramic and the other was plastic as was determined by the Build date of either October 1st /1965 or January 10th 1965

10/1/65

The first ones were ceramic

I have one or two of those in my emblem collection.

At first I wondered where you had been before DE - that fade in the red portion looks an awful like a sunburn!
You ever get transferred to Luke AFB; you'll see it on almost every "desert car" on the road; whether the emblems are aftermarket or OEM. Only solution I can think of is to remover the plastic cover - makes touch-up easier with something like Testors enamel.

At first I wondered where you had been before DE - that fade in the red portion looks an awful like a sunburn!
You ever get transferred to Luke AFB; you'll see it on almost every "desert car" on the road; whether the emblems are aftermarket or OEM. Only solution I can think of is to remover the plastic cover - makes touch-up easier with something like Testors enamel.
Nah, Dover is my first base, and the emblems didn't start looking like this until about a month after I arrived here. So far I've only tried cleaning them on the surface, so my next step is going to be to take them apart. If I still can't get them clean I'll just get some new emblems.

I took a real up close look at the emblems today and it actually looks like the material has been weathered in such a way that it's actually coming off. It looks like someone took some sandpaper to it and removed a few layers.

The same thing is happening to mine after being on the car for a year. Personally I think Scott Drake makes crap but don't know who else makes them. I got the ones for a 66 since i used to have a 66 GT and the emblems on it looked great. Also did the plastic polish but they looked like crap again in a couple of days. I need to take pics to email to Scott Drake and see what they have to say, you might want to do the same. I bought mine thru Mustangs Unlimited but lost the receipt so probably have to pay for new crapo replacements. Will let you know if i find out anything.

The same thing is happening to mine after being on the car for a year. Personally I think Scott Drake makes crap but don't know who else makes them. I got the ones for a 66 since i used to have a 66 GT and the emblems on it looked great. Also did the plastic polish but they looked like crap again in a couple of days. I need to take pics to email to Scott Drake and see what they have to say, you might want to do the same. I bought mine thru Mustangs Unlimited but lost the receipt so probably have to pay for new crapo replacements. Will let you know if i find out anything.
Thanks. I got mine from CJ Pony Parts. I can't remember when I bought them, and I certainly no longer have a receipt.

This is what mine look like. Plan to email and send these pics to Scott Drake and Mustangs Unlimited today. Really would rather get quaility replacements then go back to the stock 05 GT emblems, I like the look of these much better.

Attachments

• 100_0183.jpg
    100_0183.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 100_0184.jpg
    100_0184.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 69
Got a reply from SD, they say they've never seen that before, that Mustangs Unlimted hadn't bought any in 5 years and that other companys also make them. All I know is it had their name on the packaging. Guess my only option is to try the ones for a 65 and see if they're any better.