Engine Bay cleanup 101

red94fiveo

Apr 12, 2003
Wichita, KS
While I'm doing the headswap and have everything off I really want to clean up my engine bay. I know that hiding the wires and stuff like that has been discussed in other threads, but I was wondering what tricks everyone else uses to clean up the appearance of their engine bay. Oh, and whats the best way to clean all the grime and dirt out of my engine bay, its filthy.

BTW- I have a photoshop pic of my new paint scheme for my engine bay that looks really sweet if anyone can host a 1.7meg file, I'd really like to post it.

• Sponsors (?)

I just wiped my engine bay down with wet paper towels/rags and that really shined it up. I then went over all the painted areas with a clay bar and Zaino polish.

*Mark's engine bay is in my next post*

Now that I have seen the pic I would recommend installing some stainless bolts and washers in place of the bolts you have on the strut brace. I think those really class up the brace. You can also paint the coil's bracket and install stainless bolts there as well. Those are just some minor things, but they can really help. I think everything else looks really good. Just a wipe down and some Armor-All on the hoses will make it look great! :nice:

Actually that is just the photoshop version, it will be painted in about a week. Not in the picture is the cover I have for the GT-40, which will be black with the 5.0 HO and pony in red.

Shaun - I appreciate you hosting that pic.

VIPERn94Five-0 said:
that picture makes it 100% official....while it may not quite flow the best....the GT40 upper is by far the best looking upper for the 5.0....hands down!!! big props to that manifold...and what did you paint it with??

Anthony

If you watched "Rides" on Tuesday night you saw what Troy Trapenier did with this Gt-40 intake. Now this is gorgeous. He welded the plate on so it looks part of Ford's design. He also blended the runs so they don't look like individuals. He's in the top 5 of all the fabricators.

rides.jpg

I must admit, the GT40 is a sweet looking, if not the ultimate performing, but what about the strut brace? don't you have to get a different one or change it? That and money are the only things holding me back, really. And no, i will not do all the extra work of getting an explorer intake...

94Blue302GT said:
I must admit, the GT40 is a sweet looking, if not the ultimate performing, but what about the strut brace? don't you have to get a different one or change it? That and money are the only things holding me back, really. And no, i will not do all the extra work of getting an explorer intake...
I haven't had a strut tower brace on my car all summer. I felt no difference with it off. You can buy one that will fit aftermarket intakes from Steeda if you choose.

Jake

My new strut tower brace came with my suspension kit from Kenny Brown (you will need a new one). However, I'm thinking I'm going to have to take it off if I run an intake spacer for my new valve covers. (I think the damn valve covers are the source of about 90% of my problems these days!)

Jake -
I drove my car around without one for about a day and thought it felt a lot less stable, more rolley. I have a vert though so that may make a difference.