Engine bay question,, satin or gloss?

1993SSP

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2001
Ky
My car is black, I'm going to repaint the engine bay, just did the underbody and suspension in chasis satin black yesterday, should I do the engine bay in the same color or go with gloss black, from best i can tell the engine bays were a dull black from the factory. I never have any intentions of chroming or polishing out the engine, just shooting for a clean smooth look under the hood. Was kinda leary if I did the engine bay in chasis black it may turn out looking like crap against a fresh paint job on the rest of the car. If anyone has any pics of engine bays on black cars please post em up

• Sponsors (?)

Just my opinion but flat/satin look is always less impressive vs. a cleared job. It doesn't have to be completely flashy like with a blinged out engine, but just being a nice, complete paint job makes a huge difference with whatever the motor is going to look like.

the more I think about it, I think we'll end up spraying it with base/clear, the chasis paint doesnt have any UV protection, I think it will all hold up better and look better in the long run with a base/clear.

Yours isn't a flat color like I was thinking about, like a specifically non-glossed color. Even if you don't do a 2-stage w/clear or a single stage w/integrated clear, you can get a glossy finish by using such paint. I was thinking he was talking about a duller, 'dry'-looking paint like satin black. Picture that on a black car that's got a clear job on it, and it'd just clash. Same would go for any color. :shrug: