engine been sitting on stand for 2 years - will it run?

rockin_rick

Oct 9, 2003
I put my stock 302 (with 140,000 miles) on the stand 2 years ago and didn't do anything to it then (for storage) nor have I touched it since. I now want to reinstall it and have it run. Will it run ok? Should I put something down the spark plug holes into the cylinders to lube them (I didn't before storing) like oil or WD40? Something else? Would WD40 be a good idea and/or would it harm my head gaskets?

The engine was pulled and the heads, lower intake, valve covers were all left on. Spark plugs in, intake ports taped off, injector holes left open, distro in, covered with plastic (not sealed in plastic).

I'm just looking to sell the car, so low cost is the main concern...

Thanks,
Rick

• Sponsors (?)

i would squirt some oil in the cylinders. crank the engine by hand a couple times. change the oil that has been sitting in there before putting it in, new filter, new spark plugs, etc. to be really safe since you left the injector ports open, i would tear off the heads, but thats just me.

I'd do the above (definately lube the bores and spin it by hand to break the ringlands free). Then also prime the oil pump by hand before actually starting the engine.

Good luck.

EDIT: in addition to all the other things you'll do to get it up to speed, depending upon how the injectors were left, it might be wise to get them cleaned and flow tested. I can tell ya that injectors that sit with fuel in the lines (not the case for you, but........) will get varnished up. A lot of miles driven can clean them up, but if you dont want to put a lot of miles on the car and you can get them cleaned for cheap (some guys have said shops charge 5 bucks an injector - it's pricier around here), I'd do that.

Lots of reasons, but mainly finances - house needs a new roof (bad) - family... It's also going to need tires soon, so theres more $$$$ (if I keep it).

Time is also another reason. I sorta burnt myself out on tuning (with tweecer) last summer, I spent many MANY hours with that and I'm kinda sick of messing with it. It takes up too much of my time. Ever since I started on the stangnet site (about the time I got the car), I've felt like I don't ever have any time. I got addicted to stangnet, then spent LOTS of time on the car.

The stang is my second car and is just a toy anyway - it gets driven like a motorcycle (only in good weather, garaged in winters). So the daily driver has to sit outside all the time, that kinda sucks. Bigger insurance bill (for 2 cars), more $$$ for license plates, etc. I'd just like to have 1 decent car that doesn't take up my time that I don't have to f with.

I heard someone talking about trading a corvette that he had at one time. He said that he traded it and it wasn't a big deal because he'd 'scratched that itch'. When he said that, it immediately resonated with me. I've had (2 different) 94 GT's for a total of 8 years now, so I've 'scratched the itch'.

Overall, it's a bittersweet situation.

Thanks,
Rick

yeah, i know what you mean, i am getting kinda tired of working on and worrying about mine too. what i want right now is a car that i can just drive and not worry about, at least for a daily driver. that's one of the main reasons why i'm sellling my kenne-bell.

i'm planning to use the money from that to fix all the annoying worn out little things and bring it to where it is a nice, reliable daily driver, maybe with just a couple of upgrades to make it faster but still reliable.

peace

WD should be fine. Many prefer to use it as starting fluid instead (of starting fluid) because it's not as hard on the motor.

I'd just put something in there, let it sit and then turn it over by hand after the oil has a change to sit a bit.
If you put a ton of oil down the plug holes, crank it over with no plugs initially (this might be best anyhow).

MHO.
Good luck.

"Change is not only necessary...............but inevitable..."

All said and done........family comes first.....I wish you well with your decision and save the labor and do the roof yourself.........you can handle it.