Engine build... opinions... suggestions?

68converted

Nov 19, 2003
Colorado
I am putting a few things on my 91 5.0. Here is the list. 70mm MAS, 65mm TB, Performer intake, Holly Systemax heads (Holleys are fully assembled with stainless valves, 1.96 and 1.6 exhaust, tripple springs, bronze guides they are the ones that come with kit 300-501 systemax except these have 5/16 pedestal mounts.) E303 or ???, Stock pistons, 1.6 Rockers, and Hedman shorties. I have an AOD and will soon have 3.27 gears or??.

Can anyone give me thier two cents (10 cents inflation adjusted) :hail2:

The car is by no means a daily driver, but often driven, and we plan to do a few summer road trips to Southern Cal this summer and next. What kind of HP can I expect? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

What is a better cam? I have a ton of buddies with import tuners and I want to destroy them off the line but still have a decent highway car. (lots of highway in colorado). I picked up a stall convt. from a 93 Mark IIIV with just 34K on the OD. I was told that because it was designed for a heavier car that my very light 68 would scream with it???? Was the seller just pushing ***** around?

I would ditch the E cam in favor of maybe a crower 15511 with 1.7 RR's. The E cam is OLD news and there are a lot better grinds out there. I would definetly get a converter or you'll never realize the power gain from your parts IMO. a nice 26-3000 rpm stall will work great. I have the edge "Mild Street" which is a 2600 rpm true stall and it works real nice. Probably not optimum for you set up but would be light years ahead of a stock unit and only cost 300 bucks compared to smaller units. I wouldn't waist my time with the mark IIIV converter. 3.27 gears are WAY to soft. 4.10's would be the best IMO. They will give you a ton more performance and will still run 112 mph @ 5940 rpms in the quarter mile with a 26" tire in 3rd which will probably be more mph than your combo will run. I would ditch the 70mm maf and get a 75mm bullet and 24lb injectors. I would think through the AOD it would push out around 250-260ish rwhp

Thanks buddy, not much help from the others...? Is it because I am putting the motor in a 68? Anyway, I shopped around for parts and I bought 3.55 FRP gears for $45 (NIB!), I am also wanting to go to a Steeda 18 or 19 cam, a local guy has both for $100 each. The heads I am getting are Sytemax with 1.94 in and 1.6 out, and 1.6 rockers.

I don't plan on dragging the car, or jumping up performance other than the mods above, so I have been told the TB and MAS combo are fine. My wife will drive the car occasionally during the summer and I don't want her to kill herself, or be pissed about driving a "hot rod".

The only other mod I may make before the first run in the spring would be to port the intake. I figure that just these mods should put me at 310 fwhp?

so your going to use 19lb injectors. just wondering because your going to be on or over the edge with 19's. the only 70mm maf i know of is the cobra which is actually calibrated for 19's not 24's unless you use a cobra computer.. The TB is fine i'm just worried about your fuel requirements. what computer are you going to use to run the fuel injection?

Steeda makes some nice cams. I like the 19 but that's because i heard it was a bit easier on the 94/95 computers. i've heard the 18 is pretty nice to. the more I look at your plans and parts in your original post I kinda think your 310 fwhp may be a bit low and it may be closer to 330-350 fwhp with a good tune. 19lb injectors won't cut it. You got a great deal on them 3.55's but IMO they are still way to soft and not worth the trouble and expense of changing them from 3.27's in an AOD. I'd resell for a profit and buy steeper ones. 3:73's are minimum in that car and 4.10's prefferable. what does the car weigh?