ENGINE BUILDER SAYS i BETTER DO THIS!!

RIXX93GT

Founding Member
Oct 10, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
Okay I was talking to my engine builder and he advises me to go to 1/2" head bolts on my block for my 347 build up. It is going to be a 10.25:1 compression NA moter with AFR185's and full forged rotating assembly with an FTI custom cam. What is everyones opinion on if this is really necessary or is it just good and wise insurance?

• Sponsors (?)

In order tp put the larger bolts in you must drill and tap. The factory 302 production blocks don't have enough meat around the head bolts to do this. You will actually weaken the block.

Not recomended.

7/16th studs are plenty strong for whatever you can throw at them.

onefaststang said:
In order tp put the larger bolts in you must drill and tap. The factory 302 production blocks don't have enough meat around the head bolts to do this. You will actually weaken the block.

Not recomended.

I agree 100 percent.

onefaststang said:

Not recomended.

Exactly....just use the 7/16" ARP studs and 1/2"-> 7/16" stepped washers. If you need a set of washers let me know, I have a brand new set of ARP's I didn't need for a motor, I'll let them go for a good price.

Thanks guys I'm learning something here too - do the 351 blocks use the 7/16" bolts or the 1/2"? I've thought they used the larger bolts; if so, are those blocks cast differently/with extra meat in the areas around threaded holes? Is that part of what the extra deck height buys you?

351's are much beefier and come with 1/2" threads. I'm running the 7/16 ARP's and stepped washers. Buddy's block cracked where the builder (professional) drilled and tapped it for 1/2" bolts. He was pissed when he tore it down and found that.

Jamie

Small block chevy's only use 7/16", and plenty of guys run wild 400 inch combo's with high compression, and no problems. The difference is SBC's have 5 bolts per cylinder, while the SBF only has the 4. You still shouldn't have any problems. I agree with the problems of drilling out the 7/16 for 1/2 - not only could it be too weak, it isn't the easiest thing in the world to make sure those holes are drilled and tapped perfectly straight. All you need is to have a crookedly (if thats a word) tapped whole and the stud is angled 10 degrees. Then you wouldn't even be able to drop the head on . . .

Well I dropped off the moter tonight and he is still recommending the 1/2" head bolts. I know this guy well and he has a great rep. Does anyone think it is a good idea or should I just say no thanks. Its not that much more money to have it done.