Engine builders enter ??? on a 347 using most stock parts

kr mstg

Jun 28, 2005
I am wanting to use all stock components, except for the stroker kit, and build my engine. I'm wanting to get a better cam,24 # injectors and 70 C&L accufab MAF, MSD but that is it. Everything else, i want to be stock. If i port and polish and mill head for 10.5 CR and port my stock intake upper and lower to match and have it tuned what kind of HP and TQ can i expect with this combo??

• Sponsors (?)

By doing that, you are defeating the entire purpose of the stroker motor. Forget the stroker kit and just stick with 302 c.i. and save the cash. You could get the best heads and a small shot of NOS for the stroker kit price and come out way better/faster. As for hp, Only the dyno would know. I see identical setups dyno 30 hp different to the rear tires often.

I would do the heads first. You can leave everything else in the engine stock and put a stroker setup in it as an interim step, and get heads later I guess. Most do it the other way. If you are going to spend money porting, I would just get the heads. Make sure you calculate the compression with the new stroke, as you may not want to mill the heads much.

ok, i'm wanting to run about a 125 shot if needed. So should i do the stroker kit and port heads, mill if needed for 10.5CR?? I have 165K on motor with no oil usage, that i forgot to mention. What would be a great(not good) cam for this combo? I was thinking of using thumpers heads with a his cam.. Then my stroker kit.. What kind of rwhp would be at 10.5CR? I have 1 5/8 shorties with 2.5" H pipe and 40 series flows orig. i will probably be porting the stock intake also.. thanks

To do a 347 right, look to spend $6500-7000 (that's using the stock block). That will get you anywhere from 360-385 rwhp. On top of that, 100 shot of NOS will be fine. Don't go over 475 rwhp on a stock block. If you want more power than that, you need a dart. On motor alone, that will have a fox body in the mid 11 range. The 100 shot of NOS, all in the 10's. That is plenty for me.

I understand the to spend the money to get the best 347 but i'm saving money for a 800 Hp motor instead. i'm just wanitng to get my tired motor out for a fresh 347 on a budget. i found a shortblock 347 for $1695, and was wanting to know would stock E7 heads have any clearance issues? I'm still shooting for 10.5 CR but anything close will work. I'm going to have thumper port and polish my heads and give me a B303 with it for 895. Also have TMoss Port and polish my upper and lower intake ~$200. I already have everything else stock that i think will work with this setup. ANyone have any numbers with this type of setup? ~Hp & TQ.....

If your saving for a stronger motor then I would suggest just giving your 302 a re-fresh. It makes no sense to put a cast crank 347 set-up together then swap it out later on your just wasting money IMO.

I have never been a huge fan on putting a lot of money into the stock parts when you have intentions of replacing them shortly down the road.

Spend your money wisely and spend it once....

Just my $.02

All this talk about NOS makes me want to watch The Fast And the Furious 3. :rolleyes:

e7s suck period. Even for a 302. THe exhaust ports are restricted grossly. If it were me I'd just do heads and have done with it.

I had a stock crank ground down to 3.25" a few years ago. But that was a 69-70 BOSS crank (forged steel).

I agree they suck but wasn't wanting to put a lot into the motor when later on i get a much bigger motor. thanks for the info. i'm thinking your right, i should just get a stroker kit put it in and be done until i get the bbd motor..

I'd guess that you could make 280-290RWHP with ported E7s and a ported stock intake with a stroker. Not what you could get with more money and different parts, but still a decent street eninge.

I'm waiting on the dyno sheet of a 306 with ported stock intake, 65mm TB, ported E7 heads and a Crower 15511 cam that put down 262RWHP/300+RWTQ on the dyno.