engine choices?

88stangmangt

Nov 25, 2003
Stafford,VA
i really want to do a forged internal 306 with the trick flow setup they claim it will put a 306 to 350hp. thats pretty good for only a 306 do you guys think i should maybe do a 308? 302 stroker or the 306? which makes more power? atleast with this 306 i know i will be in the same boat as the firebirds. :p :D

• Sponsors (?)

there is no reason to go to a 308 unless your block requires that much of an overbore to clean up the cylinders. a .030" overbore (306) is fine in most situations. if you need to buy new internals, it may be worth going to a stroker motor, like a 331.

I'm doing the same thing. Clean up the 302 with a 30 over bore forged internals and the trick flow kit. BBk LT's o/r h or might go with a prochamber and a T-5 with centerforce clutch and 3:73's. Hoping for mid 12's with some driving. I think a 306 is a good start from stock unless money isnt a issue go for a 347 stroker and a procharger!!!!!!!

i make decent money and before long am gonna transfer to the new store and be one of the heads. and i have only a few bills only adding up to about less than 400 a month and i am going to look at a beater tonight so time and money isnt a issue. but is it really worth building a 331 or 347 if it has to be emissions legal?

88stangmangt said:
i make decent money and before long am gonna transfer to the new store and be one of the heads. and i have only a few bills only adding up to about less than 400 a month and i am going to look at a beater tonight so time and money isnt a issue. but is it really worth building a 331 or 347 if it has to be emissions legal?

Yes it's worth havin a stroker even if you have to pass emissions :D :nice:

88stangman--306 or 308 will get you the same power. It's only 2 cubes, and the difference is in the size of the piston, not the stroke. I think you'll be very happy with the Trick Flow package. My suggestion is get the Track Heat intake, and in the future you'll be ready for an S/C. (Don't deny it, lol, I was like that too, now I'm looking in to getting one :rlaugh: )