engine dies after washing my 67

SLEEPERstang21

Founding Member
Feb 15, 2002
Sunny California
After washing my 67 mustang and driving it short after, the engine just dies on me, but after i wait about an hour or so the engine works fine. i have a 68 hood on it and im guessing the water gets to the engine. if the water does get to the engine, what does it reach for my engine to die on me. any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

most likely the distributor - sometimes taking the cap off - quick spritz with WD40 or you may need to check to see if your distributor cap or a wire is loose - if you have an aftermarket ignition (MSD, etc) you may check it for bare connections getting wet or you may be getting a warning for an ignition failure all together (been there, done that in a puddle of water in a parking lot - RUINED my 2 week old MSD set up :mad: )

Do you have powersteering ? If you do, does it get heavy before the engine dies? That may indicate that the rubber bands that drivers the altenator and the powersteering is just wet and loosing grip. They are unable to drive the altenator and powersteering, because they slip. No altenator = no power = dead engine.

Snail50 said:
I'd agree with the wet distributor theory, but the Norwegian has a good point too.

I agree with the distributor theory but not the belt theory. If they slip like that with just being wet, then they are too loose and would most likely slip under acceleration and you would hear a loud screeching.

i have had the wet distibutor happen to me before. I always cover it when spraying the engine. But one time I guess water or vapors still got in. I didt have any WD40 so i had to let it air dry. Iwas stuck there for 40 minutes before i got the car to start.