Engine Got A Little Hot, How Concerned Should I Be?

redneck15431

May 13, 2006
As the title says...

I took my car out to get gas today about 5 miles away. I had just installed an electric fan and it was my first venture away from home more than a mile or so since installing it...it was in the mid 80's today but it felt rather cool out with the sun in and out.

On the way to the gas station I kept a watchful eye on the temp gauge and it hovered around 210...no biggie. I left the gas station and about 1/4 mile down the road it spiked to about 230 and about another half mile down the road I pulled off to let it cool. Once it reached about 220 I took off down the road and it spiked up to about 240 before I pulled off again. It just so happened that my cousin was passing by on his flat bed and he stopped to investigate, where I assured him I would be fine getting home. So once he left the temp was down to about 210 and I started it up and took off. Took it rather easy and shut the car off on downhill slopes and coasted (I know, not very safe, but I had to keep my girl cool and safe!). By the time I made it home it was about 240 again. So upon further investigation, I found out my fan was wired backwards and was pushing instead of pulling. Kinda mad at myself for overlooking that since I am an Electrical Engineer.

I have aluminum heads on the car and I am a little concerned about them being compromised. I've run the car since I have fixed it and it seems to run great, but is there anything I should be looking out for? No loss of coolant or any strange noises or anything, but should I be concerned about how hot it was? They are Trickflow 170cc heads. Any others have experience?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

X3 you should be fine but check the oil and after fixing the fans give it a test drive. If it runs hot again you might need to do some more investigation.