engine has been rebuilt, only 281RWHP, what is wrong?

yeah, I just called the guy, and he said he does not remember if he had put E-6 or not, but the guy is an older guy (64) so I don't see how he would lie about it. he seemed like an honest guy at least, and let me tell you the car pulls like it is got that much horsepower. All I know is that this guy is life long car builder. when I went to pick the car up, he had 3 projects going on in his garage (one of the cars was a shelby GT500), so I know he is good.

• Sponsors (?)

Stock CASTINGS... that doesn't mean they're E6s.

The other thing that comes to mind is that E6 valves are 1/4 inch shorter than normal. It would require a conscious effort to search out over-sized valves for these things.

In the end what really matters is that you are happy with the car. It sounds like you are so that ist he important thing. It would be great to get a dyno sheet from the previous owner to give you piece of mind that it does put 281 hp on the ground.

Take it to the track and see what it does. Do not get upset if the first passes aren't what you would expect since you haven't be to the track before. Just take your time and concentrate on staging the car and getting it to launch decently. Once you get launching the car down the rest is pretty easy. And the most important part is HAVE FUN.

Is it me or does that cam seem way to big for the rest of the motor? I dont know how well the heads have been ported but they would have to be ported well to support that cam. The cam is still making power when the heads quit flowing the air to support the rest of the cam, but that is just my .02

DMAN302 said:
Alot of 'he said' is going on...do you have a dyno sheet showing 281? You're not going to get anywhere neer those numbers with the parts listed...sorry but I just don't see it. I've just seen too many self ported alpha cams on the rollers barely break 230-250's. Even thumper combo's are barely breaking 260's.

I can DEFINATELY see it... I made 272/316 with a stock bottem end, stock cam, E7s with his valves (I dont have 1.60 exhaust, I have 1.54) and a valve job (unported on the intake and exhaust ports) rockers, Cobra Intake, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, CAI, pulleys, LTs, Prochamber, and a catback. I could see 281 (only 9 more than my combo made) with ported and done E7s, a cam and the right person owning it.

Coming from someone who owns a car with similar but slightly less mods, and similar but slightly less power, it CAN be done, and can easily be duplicated!

Be happy with the power. Coming from someone in a similar car it feels great on the street!

yeah i have stock heads too they have big plugs and 54cc chambers off a 66 stang so who know what heads he has plus he is carbed they run better if tuned right ..... well i had a stock 88 lx coupe,5spd,410 gears,stock weight,stock bottom end with nothing more than a carb,650dp,stealth intake and exhaust and was running 13.50's @ 104.00 on street tires all night long would easily went 12's on dr's or slicks !

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
Here's 400hp with a totally bone stock bottom end, including cam....all you need is AFR 165s.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0307_ford_302_v8_engine_buildup/index.html
Ford 302 V8 Engine Buildup- Car Craft Magazine
The foundation for the test was a bone-stock 5.0L H.O. engine taken from a '91 Mustang. As delivered, 5.0 engines of this vintage had forged-aluminum pistons, a hydraulic-roller camshaft (see spec chart), a double-roller timing set, and stamped 1.6:1 nonadjustable rocker arms. Rated static compression runs around 9.0:1 with the stock cast-iron E7TE cylinder heads, which are equipped with puny 1.78/1.46-inch intake/exhaust valves and nominal 60cc chambers. With stock fuel-injection, this engine was factory rated at 225 hp at 4,200 rpm and 300 lb-ft of torque at 3,000.

Our test engine maintains most of those specs, with the only alterations being a quick bottle-brush hone to clean up the cylinder walls and a set of fresh rings and bearings. We baselined the freshened-up short-block with a pair of rebuilt but otherwise stock E7TE factory heads, the stock hydraulic-roller cam, stock tubular exhaust manifolds, and a Weiand Stealth dual-plane intake topped with a four-barrel carburetor. That combination developed 278 hp at 5,200 rpm and 315 lb-ft of torque at 4,100 on Westech Performance's SuperFlow 901 engine dyno.

So the addition of a 4 barrel carb is gonna give me 53 extra HP?

GTOReturns said:
The foundation for the test was a bone-stock 5.0L H.O. engine taken from a '91 Mustang. As delivered, 5.0 engines of this vintage had forged-aluminum pistons, a hydraulic-roller camshaft (see spec chart), a double-roller timing set, and stamped 1.6:1 nonadjustable rocker arms. Rated static compression runs around 9.0:1 with the stock cast-iron E7TE cylinder heads, which are equipped with puny 1.78/1.46-inch intake/exhaust valves and nominal 60cc chambers. With stock fuel-injection, this engine was factory rated at 225 hp at 4,200 rpm and 300 lb-ft of torque at 3,000.

Our test engine maintains most of those specs, with the only alterations being a quick bottle-brush hone to clean up the cylinder walls and a set of fresh rings and bearings. We baselined the freshened-up short-block with a pair of rebuilt but otherwise stock E7TE factory heads, the stock hydraulic-roller cam, stock tubular exhaust manifolds, and a Weiand Stealth dual-plane intake topped with a four-barrel carburetor. That combination developed 278 hp at 5,200 rpm and 315 lb-ft of torque at 4,100 on Westech Performance's SuperFlow 901 engine dyno.

So the addition of a 4 barrel carb is gonna give me 53 extra HP?

That's flywheel HP there skippy :nice:

:rlaugh: The engine was tested on an engine dyno. At least i guess that's what you're asking?

Actually when compared to either the stock carbed setup or stock EFI setup, a Stealth intake and a well tuned carb....yeah you probably could pick up 53hp at the flywheel especially since it's at a higher RPM than Ford rated it. Remember that Ford under rates their engines really bad....most stock Mustangs will dyno around 190-210hp at the wheels....that's well over the 225 at the flywheel that Ford rates it as. Also note that the engine was probably tested without any accessories on it, and probably with an electric water pump since that's typical engine dyno procedure, but they didn't state that so who knows.

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
That's flywheel HP there skippy :nice:

:rlaugh: The engine was tested on an engine dyno. At least i guess that's what you're asking?

Actually when compared to either the stock carbed setup or stock EFI setup, a Stealth intake and a well tuned carb....yeah you probably could pick up 53hp at the flywheel especially since it's at a higher RPM than Ford rated it. Remember that Ford under rates their engines really bad....most stock Mustangs will dyno around 190-210hp at the wheels....that's well over the 225 at the flywheel that Ford rates it as. Also note that the engine was probably tested without any accessories on it, and probably with an electric water pump since that's typical engine dyno procedure, but they didn't state that so who knows.
Come on man! Pick it up a few notches would ya!!:mad: I know its flywheel HP. Did I say something to suggest I ment RWHP? HMMM?
So again I ask, with just the addition of a 4 barrel carb gives me a 53 HP gain?

GTOReturns said:
Come on man! Pick it up a few notches would ya!!:mad: I know its flywheel HP. Did I say something to suggest I ment RWHP? HMMM?
So again I ask with just the addition of a 4 barrel carb give me 53 HP?

LOL like i said, vs. 1) either the stock carb setup or stock EFI setup, 2) the way Ford rated their engines back then, and 3) when you combine a Wieand Stealth intake with a good running 4 barrel, yeah i'm sure you could pick up 53hp at the flywheel when you take into account those details. The numbers they show are at higher RPMs as well. I don't really think 53hp at the flywheel for those two items are a big deal at all :shrug: I'm sure they also bumped the timing and adjusted the curve and tuned the carb too.

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
LOL like i said, vs. 1) either the stock carb setup or stock EFI setup, 2) the way Ford rated their engines back then, and 3) when you combine a Wieand Stealth intake with a good running 4 barrel, yeah i'm sure you could pick up 53hp at the flywheel when you take into account those details. The numbers they show are at higher RPMs as well. I don't really think 53hp at the flywheel for those two items are a big deal at all :shrug: I'm sure they also bumped the timing and adjusted the curve and tuned the carb too.
I think a 53HP gain on a 5.0 is a VERY BIG deal.