engine is missing

Marc5ohGT

Sep 14, 2003
Houston
Ok i recently installed my new motor (about 2 weeks ago), and it started up fine and everything but i noticed i have a miss on 2 cylinders. I was messing with the timing one night and noticed a blue flame (best description i can come up with) right around the spark plug boot and plug on 2 cylinders. (#3 and #7 cylinders). I know that this is causing my missing in my motor. Thing is I dont know how to fix it. I have already changed plug wires to try and solve. My car had never done this on the previous motor. (same combo except changed to a tfs stage 1 cam). I would appreciate any help. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

does it look like it is trying to ground out into the surrounding metal around the plug hole? or is the spark 'leaking' out of the wire and/or boot?
for the former, (it's grounding out), put something non conductive between where it grounds out and the wire. see if this solves it and go from there. i have used the heel off of an old pair of flip flops (rubber kind) for this.
good luck.

where does it go. if it is not grounding out to something, but is just creating a light show, warranty the wires out for new ones. sounds like a defect to me. that is, unless you like the custom chopper gas-filled-wire look. :)

Did you pull the plugs on those to cylinders to check the gap? Also use some dielectric grease inside each boot. This will help seel the connection and also makes it easier to get the boots of down the road to help prevent damage to the wires. Just a small dab inside each boot.

I remember one time some one brought a car into my shop because of an engine miss. Some morron at another shop used anti seize instead of dielectric grease, hence the reason for the miss. :nono: :doh:

HISSIN50 said:
does it look like it is trying to ground out into the surrounding metal around the plug hole? or is the spark 'leaking' out of the wire and/or boot?
for the former, (it's grounding out), put something non conductive between where it grounds out and the wire. see if this solves it and go from there. i have used the heel off of an old pair of flip flops (rubber kind) for this.
good luck.

Nothing like the burning smell of an old flip flop on your header. Hissin, you might be a redneck too :D

What kind of wires are you running? If the plugs are OK, the wires are prolly junk. Gonna have to get some better ones. Are you using any type of high performance ignition or coil?