engine light wont go away...

02'MineralGT

Nov 30, 2004
well my engine light came on a while back and the OBD II read that it was the second 02 sensor on the drivers side so i swapped it out with a new one, cleared the code but the light popped up again. does anyone have any ideas? or had this problem? could it be my cat?
thanks for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

get us the actual code and we can help.. I can't help you at all without the EXACT code. but here is a guess for you.

If it's a cat inefficiency code what you need to do is get a scan tool with live data and watch the PIDS for the upstream and downstream 02 sensor on that bank.. It really helps if it's a scan tool like the IDS/WDS where it give voltage and a waveform of the voltage.. what you want to do is compare the voltages.. the downstream ( after the cat) 02 sensor should not follow the voltages of the upstream ( before the cat) sensor. if it does this then you know you have a bad cat converter..

BTW if you have a aftermarket catted midpipe.. Even a high quality one, they tend to set off the check engine light because the high flow cats are not as clean running as the stockers. They are good enough to get you thru smog but they are not as clean as the stockers. This can be simply fixed with a set of 02 elims or have the rear monitors shut off in the tune

Nothing a piece of electric tape won't fix. Better yet, just pull the bulb like I did. It's only going to tell you if you have EPA issues anyway. You'll know if you have a real problem with your engine, you won't need a light to tell you that.