engine opinions! NA or boost

SMOKEDYA

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 13, 2003
Tucson AZ
Doing a 408 and trying to decide if i do a all motor high compression (maybe bottle) or keep and use the turbo on it? Will be a good fun street terror and occational strip use. Also i have a block thats 40 over,is it safe or recomended to sleeve it to take it down to a 30 over block? peace

john:cool:

• Sponsors (?)

If you built a 408 right you should have a pretty easy low 10 to high 9 second street car, it all depends how fast you wanna go. Nobody here can tell you if the block at .040 over will be good either. You could have a sonic test done on it and know for sure.

Doing a 408 and trying to decide if i do a all motor high compression (maybe bottle) or keep and use the turbo on it? Will be a good fun street terror and occational strip use. Also i have a block thats 40 over,is it safe or recomended to sleeve it to take it down to a 30 over block? peace
Is the turbo kit already on the car and if so is it for a 302? Because you have to consider fitment issues. If it will fit then I'd do a low compression turbo build. It all comes down to installation IMO.

If you built a 408 right you should have a pretty easy low 10 to high 9 second street car, it all depends how fast you wanna go. Nobody here can tell you if the block at .040 over will be good either. You could have a sonic test done on it and know for sure.
I didnt ask for what kind of power or how fast will i go! The threads are so over rated and worn out on here,plus i already have a good idea what power level and times i will run. But thanks for your responce. peace

Maybe i confussed you? I said i already have a 351. peace
Actually, you didn't confuse me at all, I think you just didn't understand my question. So let me re-phrase it. You said "use THE turbo on it" which would indicate that you already have a turbo. I asked if the turbo was still on the car and if so "is it for a 302 engine?" I asked that because you never specified whether there was a 351W block or a 302 block IN THE CAR itself. I asked my question because I am pretty sure that a turbo system for a 302 won't direct fit on a 351 block which IMO would dictate whether to stay turbo or not. Now maybe you can clarify a few things about the car or the turbo system you're using. Either way, like I said, fitment would be the only reason I wouldn't use the turbo. Either way, good luck...

To avoid further misunderstanding here is a copy/paste of your original post: "Doing a 408 and trying to decide if i do a all motor high compression (maybe bottle) or keep and use the turbo on it? Will be a good fun street terror and occational strip use. Also i have a block thats 40 over,is it safe or recomended to sleeve it to take it down to a 30 over block? peace"

Actually, you didn't confuse me at all, I think you just didn't understand my question. So let me re-phrase it. You said "use THE turbo on it" which would indicate that you already have a turbo. I asked if the turbo was still on the car and if so "is it for a 302 engine?" I asked that because you never specified whether there was a 351W block or a 302 block IN THE CAR itself. I asked my question because I am pretty sure that a turbo system for a 302 won't direct fit on a 351 block which IMO would dictate whether to stay turbo or not. Now maybe you can clarify a few things about the car or the turbo system you're using. Either way, like I said, fitment would be the only reason I wouldn't use the turbo. Either way, good luck...

To avoid further misunderstanding here is a copy/paste of your original post: "Doing a 408 and trying to decide if i do a all motor high compression (maybe bottle) or keep and use the turbo on it? Will be a good fun street terror and occational strip use. Also i have a block thats 40 over,is it safe or recomended to sleeve it to take it down to a 30 over block? peace"
Clearly im not an idiot and if i had a 302 i would have said so.And dont come on here like most newbs asking the same old old played out asked over time and time again questions. Like i told the op my question is na or boost. That simple! Not how much it will cost how driver freindly how much power what supporting mods blah blah blah. Just a simple boost yes/no or high compression n/a yes/no? peace

You should have stated in your original post you wanted just one word answers and no responses that would be intelligent and you could have saved yourself the trouble of all of your smartass responses to people trying to help you out.

Heres my opinion. Stay NA if you are staying with a stock block. Any turbo that is properly sized for a 408 will be making enough power to make the blocks strength questionable at low boost levels. If you build the 408 right you will make more than enough powe in nuts alone to have a street car that hauls ass

Reactions: 1 user
Clearly im not an idiot and if i had a 302 i would have said so.And dont come on here like most newbs asking the same old old played out asked over time and time again questions. Like i told the op my question is na or boost. That simple! Not how much it will cost how driver freindly how much power what supporting mods blah blah blah. Just a simple boost yes/no or high compression n/a yes/no? peace
I'm being called a newb by someone who is asking whether or not he should go N/A or turbo on a .040 block? Or if he should sleeve it down to a .030? THAT'S a good one. And sorry bro but I don't answer with simple "yes or no" responses. Any idiot who can type on a computer can say "yes or no". There are reasons for everything. And if you feel that you know all the reasons as to why you should do this or that then you don't need to ask the question in the first place. Or just set up a poll and ask for votes. Anyway, do whatever you want.

And BTW, which "op" did you ask your question? Maybe you don't know this, but YOU are the OP. SMH...

Here is some logical advice. You have a turbo that will fit? Yes. You have a block? Yes. Is the block bore compatible with the hp levels and boost? Maybe. Do you feel comfortable with the block? Obviously not...otherwise you wouldn't be here looking for "yes or no" answers. So you have 2 options. A: Get a different, more compatible block that you'll be nice and comfy with and go turbo. B: Keep the block you have and go N/A. All that coming from a newb :nice: ...peace.

Reactions: 1 users

Wow.. For someone asking for help seems pretty cocky

on original topic....i would go 408 with high comp, 93 octane around 11.1 ish with a big ole set of AFR or Trickflows and call it a day all you need and if you think you need more down the road hit it with a little shot of nos! im jealous wish i went 408.................next time!

Reactions: 1 user