Engine Pic - Powdercoating done.

InMyPrimeSVT

Founding Member
Jul 31, 2001
Cincinnati
Thought I'd toss up a pic of my finished engine bay. Well finished that is until I add a supercharger.
DSC01727.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

How thermally conductive is powdercoating vs bare metal? I doubt that a few millimeters is going to act as much of an insulator.

Well just ask the thousands of people who had their powder coated alternators fail prematurely. Chrome is even worse! It acts like a jacket on the metal keeping the heat in. Probably not that much, but just enough to send it over the designed heat tolerances.

If you want your blower powder coated you're probably going to have to have it disassembled, coated and reassembled. No way the seals inside can handle 375* for 45 minutes.

I already called them. The guy I talked to said that they can be powder coated but have to be disassembled in order to do it. Vortech actually does it for around $760. He did say that powder coat would not act as an insulator though.

Boom. Nice work 94. $760 to be powder coated from Vortech!!! Holy crap, my guy will do it for less than half of that.

Exactly! It's the same issue with getting sub par polishing from them at double or triple the price!

Also I wouldn't put much faith in their claim that the coating won't act as an insulator. This is something brand new to them and only after years of operation can they actually make that claim. I know they have state of the art R&D labs but only time and use will tell us the whole story!