Engine Engine Pushrod/ptv Order Of Instalation?

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by fiveohlover, Apr 30, 2014.

1. fiveohlover

fiveohlover Member

Putin a new 331 together and will need check push rod length and PTV. I not sure what to do because need to torque down heads to determine proper push rod length. Heres the problem, i cant check my PTV until i have my push rods installed. I dont really want to torque everything down and take it apart again. I didn't keep my old head gaskets. Will i have to buy another head gasket? Any ideas on how to do both and save time+money ?

I know my PTV will probably be ok with the following combo, but i would like to check it just to make sure
    331 with probe srs flat tops
    comp xe 274hr cam
    afr 185 61cc
    fel pro 1011-1 0.41 compressed
  2. gearheadboy

gearheadboy Mod Dude

Welcome to the custom build world. You know the answer. To do it correctly you need to torque the head with the same brand/style gasket you are gonna run and waste a gasket. OR use a used gasket and check the clearance. If it is good you are good. If it is questionable you need to do the first step I mentioned. Some guys will say if the gasket was not heated you can reuse it after you torque it, some will say just snug it down a little with 4 bolts around the cylinder you are checking. Many ways. I like the ones I mentioned.
  3. fiveohlover

fiveohlover Member

how about test pushrod leangth without the head gasket and then just ad the headgasket thickness to the pushrod?
  4. 84Ttop

84Ttop They make new pistons every day, so why worry? SN Certified Technician Mod Dude

5. fiveohlover

fiveohlover Member

You should of read more carfully above. I am not looking for a head gasket to actually use i am looking for a testing gasket for when i check PTV, and check for push rod length
  6. Grabbin' Asphalt

Grabbin' Asphalt Mustang Master

Believe @84Ttop is saying spend the $13 to completely torque it down right and then spend $$ on the gasket you will actually use, soooooo it will cost you $13 to check it. Considering f#$king this up CAN cost you WAY more than $13 ;)
  7. 84Ttop

84Ttop They make new pistons every day, so why worry? SN Certified Technician Mod Dude

This exactly^^^!!!