Engine Rebuild?

• Sponsors (?)

e streets are junk. Spend the few hundred more on the TFS heads. You could piece together a topend with a mix of new/used parts for cheaper than the kit. Good example of this is the intake manifold. You can buy used ones all day for around 300$. You can get a lot of new/never used or slightly used parts all the time on The corral and save 30-66% off new list prices. Also you can re use the stock lifters. They last forever. Or look into a budget topend kit like the 1800$ version on late model restoration. I'm not a big fan of this but do understand the need for some people. I'd probably do this AND do all the other necessary mods for the AOD. You would have a solid driver with plenty off zip for the street.

Reactions: 1 user
I've looked into the parts Mikestang wrote. So far i've only been able to find a trans cooler, valve body, a TCI Torque Converter w/ 3000 rpm stall ( is that good?), and a servo. For the accumulators I cant find anything other then A/C accumulators. The input shaft and overdrive drum i found on bulkpart.com but theres 4 different choices and im not sure which one is the best? I think i might just go with a 306, instead of a 331 stroker, because it just keeps adding up. And would these be the necessary mods for the AOD?

I've looked into the parts Mikestang wrote. So far i've only been able to find a trans cooler, valve body, a TCI Torque Converter w/ 3000 rpm stall ( is that good?), and a servo. For the accumulators I cant find anything other then A/C accumulators. The input shaft and overdrive drum i found on bulkpart.com but theres 4 different choices and im not sure which one is the best? I think i might just go with a 306, instead of a 331 stroker, because it just keeps adding up. And would these be the necessary mods for the AOD?
If you go w the 306 you'll still want a convertor, trans cooler, and wider od servo. If your transmisson is in fair enough shape and isn't having shifting problems, flush and chsnge the fluid. It'll get you down the road awhile. Really it all boils down to how you drive it.

You do realize there is an edit button. Go to clickclickracing.com and read up. No one can recommed what torque converter, level of trans, etc without knowing what engine you will ultimately build and what spec the rest of the car are- gears, etc.

First build the motor around the heads- that will dictate what cam, springs to buy. Spend as much as you can on the heads as they make the most power. E streets are junk- period. Go back and read what A5literman has said. Go to Dan's site, CHP's site, and Ed Curtis site and research, research, research.

Reactions: 1 user
Can i get a link to the sites? When i search up CHP, i get Combined Heat and Power Partnership | US EPA or this California Highway Patrol
image.jpg

Of my transmission? Or the servo?
of the car

Last edited:
But ill go ahead and write everything I've done performance wise:

BBK CAI
Full MSD Ignition
Full Exhaust - H piped, no cats, super 40s, with dumps
New 19lbs Injectors
Just ordered a 70mm Accufab TB
Tower Strut Brace

Not much but its coming along

e streets are junk. Spend the few hundred more on the TFS heads. You could piece together a topend with a mix of new/used parts for cheaper than the kit. Good example of this is the intake manifold. You can buy used ones all day for around 300$. You can get a lot of new/never used or slightly used parts all the time on The corral and save 30-66% off new list prices. Also you can re use the stock lifters. They last forever. Or look into a budget topend kit like the 1800$ version on late model restoration. I'm not a big fan of this but do understand the need for some people. I'd probably do this AND do all the other necessary mods for the AOD. You would have a solid driver with plenty off zip for the street.

e streets are FAR from junk . . they are the exact same castings as the regular performer heads but use less expensive parts mainly valve springs . . the springs are fin on non roller cams that have less than .525 lift and spin less than around 6000 . . tfs heads are much better but overkill for a small cam and therefore unnecessary especially if you are on a budget.

the stall is dependent on the gear ratio and operating range of the engine . . a 3000 stall would basically be for an engine that spun 7000 rpm.

the oad is simple for your app.

red alto bands and clutches or even bosch

shift kit

ribbed high volume aluminum trans pans are nice and wont leak

competition servo

e streets are FAR from junk . . they are the exact same castings as the regular performer heads but use less expensive parts mainly valve springs . . the springs are fin on non roller cams that have less than .525 lift and spin less than around 6000 . . tfs heads are much better but overkill for a small cam and therefore unnecessary especially if you are on a budget.
I'm not trying to start a debate or anything but even your statement makes my point. They are an inferior product designed for a non roller cam. Umm isn't be going to run a roller cam? Isnt the price comparison moot once you have to add the extra costs? And you still are stuck with a lesser flowing design. And why wouldn't you run a slightly "hot" roller cam that can pull close to 6k. 6000 rpm is t some crazy high ceiling for even a street car. Also if the op ever plans on continuing his "hot rod" itch and adds performance down the road the TFS heads can "grow" with him. I will repeat my previous statement. E streets suck and would not be my recommendation